Let the murderous rampage begin

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Yes, that's right - I killed 'em. I stomped them into the mud until was nothing left but their tattered remains, and then I trampled them some more...

Oh my poor poor plants, what have I done?

Today began the rebuilding of my waterfall, and unfortunately there was just no way around it - I had to make a lot of trips back and forth, and I trampled the moneywort until you could hardly tell they were living plants. Fortunately moneywort grows fast, so maybe by the end of Summer it will be recovering. If not, it will be back in full strength next year.

So today my sister and I managed to get a lot of progress made. After draining the whole pond by several inches (which had left the fish extremely agitated today!) we pulled all the sandstone bricks from the waterfall.
img_6955.jpg

Once these were out of the way, I began digging. I'd had the great idea of filling the area between the filter barrels with dirt. Unfortunately the exit spouts on the barrels are leaking, so this dirt has turned into a water-logged clay which was putting pressure against the back side of the waterfall, and slowly pushing on the barrels. All of the dirt was dug back out while standing in the pond. I gotta tell you, it was a lot of fun! :banghead3: The area has now been taken back down to nearly ground-level between the barrels.

As a measure against further pressure on the waterfall bricks (and since I have a LOT of extra), tomorrow I plan to set up a layer of bricks behind the rubber liner, then put the liner back in place, then rebuild the waterfall on the front side of the liner. This double layer of bricks should really help keep things from moving around. In addition, I will *not* be refilling the area with dirt! This time I plan on filling it about half way with large rocks, leaving me about a 1-foot depth within the basin of the waterfall... More on that later.

After all the digging was finished, I focused on the barrels. When I initially built the pond last year, the barrel on the right ended up being about 1" lower that the one on the left. "What could one inch possibly hurt???" So I left it. And its been causing problems ever since (part of my overflow problem with all the water getting between the barrels). With the additional pressure from all the mud, both barrels had been pushed outwards at the top and were leaning, so we spent the afternoon digging under the edges of the barrels and wedging extra sand and dirt back under them. Now both barrels are sitting level to the ground and to each other, which should really help with finishing off the top of the falls.
img_6956.jpg

Tomorrow the goal is to get the waterfall rebuilt, using cement on the outer layer of bricks (you wouldn't believe how much muck had accumulated behind the bricks!), and get the rocks laid in behind all the bricks. Once I have this initial base down, I will drape the rubber liner between the barrels to create a small bog area. This will be about 12 inches deep, and I will drop in a U-shaped construction of 3" pipe, which will be fed from either side by one of the outlets of each barrel. That will give me a flow of water up through the gravel, providing more filtration, and the small bog area will eventually become home to some carnivorous plants (I found pitchers and sundews that will survive in my climate).

So... the carnage from my murderous rampage? Behold the agony of their helpless plant-bodies...
img_6958.jpg

Yes, this spot WAS covered in healthy plants 14 hours ago...
img_6959.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Looks like lots of hard sweaty dirty work you are trudging through w/ both guns blasting Shdwdrgn and yes those plants are sad looking but I'm sure they will recover nicely in time and you'll have all this behind you and a beautiful long awaited waterfall just the way you want it :goodnight: :razz:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
poor little plants............... but they will come back great job you are doing

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Keep up the hard work and try to take it easy on your poor plants. :razz:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Thanks, everyone... I've done my best to not be too hard on the plants, but with all the construction, and dripped water when I step out of the pond causing a lot of mud formation, they really took a beating.

This morning when I went outside, all the fish were cruising around the surface of the water, so I figured they needed some oxygen in the water. I set up a pump to stir things up, then headed off to Home Depot to get the dye for the cement, We had a bit of rain this morning, so the pump was run for a couple hours before I could get started again. One interesting bit of good news... the tiny orange and black koi I picked up a few months back has actually survived, and it looks like he's grown some. I have not seen him since a couple days after putting him in the pond, so I thought he hadn't made it.

I only grabbed pictures a couple time today... we were a bit busy! :) Unfortunately I don't have and pics of the inside behind the falls, however I used my extra bricks and built an inner wall, then stacked some large rocks inside. This was after the first couple hours of work building the outer wall...
img_6965.jpg

I mostly kept the bricks the same as before, which saved us a lot of time. I modified a couple of the step-stones which were previously all the way to either side. These I moved in about 8 inches. I also had to use some slivers of sandstone to build up underneath some of the bricks. As I moved closer to the top, the bricks had more of a pronounced sag in the center, and I wanted to ensure that the top came out perfectly level this time.
img_6967.jpg

The finished wall has a top which is perfectly level and flat (within 1/16"). Once I have the gravel bed built in the basin, it should slow down and spread out the water to give a nice even flow across the entire top face of the falls. At this point I have no idea if the water will still pour over fast enough to make a glass-sheet effect, or if it will wick to the surface of the bricks and just flow down the face. I'm actually hoping the water has enough force to leave the face of the bricks, but still catches the step-stones on the way down, breaking up the sheet of water.

And how do you like that lovely color of water? Some of the cement dropped into the water as I was working, and the brown dye colored the water. Soon after taking this last picture, I was able to get the pond refilled, and one of the filters running again. The water was noticeably cleaner after a couple hours, although it still had a milky appearance. The important thing is that the fish appeared much happier, and were swimming up and down the river again.

My goal for tomorrow is to work on the waterfall basin, and get the bottom side of it prepped. Once I can lay the liner down into position, I am hoping I can get both filters fired up again, and let the water start running over the falls again. Having both filters running should help the fish a lot, but if there is not a drastic change in the water quality, I'll have to do another 50% water change later in the week. At least I'm done trampling the plants and grass in the spot where I got in and out of the pond, so they can start recovering now...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It's all looking great, the plants must be glad to know that they did not give their lives in vain ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Most of the cement broke down as soon as it hit the water, so even though it cures underwater, it should just sink to the bottom and hopefully be swept away by the current flow, or simply lost in the sand. I am more concerned about the dye, since you can see in the pictures that it was spread throughout the water. However this morning the water has cleared up enough that I can see the bottom of the pond again, so I am pretty certain that once I can get the second filter fired up, the pond should clean up in a couple days.

I may still do another water change in a week or so, simply because the fresh cement will be driving the pH through the roof. A water change should help buffer the spike through the initial curing of the cement, then it will taper off - although the pH will continue to be higher than normal for awhile because of the cement.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Your work looks great Shdwdrgn and will be fun to see it all done and working which will I'm sure make the fish happy also.............and now the plants can get back to living and recouping from their murderous rampage you did to them! Glad you didn't lose your new little fishy :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
No new pictures today, but we got the liner draped back and I finished the prep work for the base of the basin area. We ran into a major problem (that could have been MUCH worse!) once we got the water flowing over the falls... Half the water was actually flowing *behind* the brick wall, and all that water actually pushed the entire wall outward and nearly tipped it over into the pond! Luckily my sister caught it, and I held it in place while she turned off the pumps. So once again I waded into the pond, and pushed the entire wall back into position. The good news it that the cement is holding fine, and the entire wall remained intact as a single piece.

On either side of my waterfall, I built 6x7 cedar posts last year. These are attached to the ground and to the barrels. The goal was to drape the excess liner material across the face of these posts, then screw down a wider board that covered and secured the edge of the liner in place, and the extra width along the side would overlap the edge of the waterfall bricks and provide a framework to help hold the bricks in place. After the near-disaster today, I grabbed some scrap wood and made use of this idea, so now the waterfall is pinned in place. I also re-did the liner with a fold at the top of the falls creating a flap that directs the majority of the water up over the top of the bricks. A little of the water still falls behind the bricks, but now enough to matter now.

As we were testing the liner flap idea, I got a good look at how the water was flowing over the new falls... It's just beautiful! Cascading down the face and splashing off the step bricks like I had hoped. I would have loved to have left it running like that to get some pictures, however the water inside the basin area now comes up higher (the addition of the cement raised the top of the wall by about an inch), so where the liner material was folded up underneath the pour spouts from each barrel, the water was just running right over the top and draining onto the ground. Once I finish adjusting the liner around the basin area, I will get the liner taped and glued directly to the barrels so the spouts actually come through holes in the liner. The liner will be brought up a few inches higher than the water level can go, so there will be no more water loss between the filters.

For now, I have both filters running again, with the water being dropped straight into the pond again. That should help clear things up again, so the fish can recover from the previous two days of trauma.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Geez and you can recover from the trauma that almost occurred too! So glad your sister was there to catch that wall! Sounds like you've got everything back in order now and on the way to completion where soon we will get to see the video of the cascading falls.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm thinking those stomped on plants have gladly given their all for you to improve your pond and bet a few come back just to spite you! lol Looking good!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looking forward to seeing it run! It is going to be beautiful

Ask a Question