Let's do it again Sam

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
But is there a difference in water filtering between a bog and a stream?

Quick answer is Yes. There are two (2) main differences- structure and flow rate. A stream is shallow and will have a higher flow rate than a wetlands filter. This provides for completely different habitat environments for aquatic organisms. A stream will support various shredders and grinders that will reduce larger organic debris to a size suitable for smaller organisms to consume. A wetlands filter (bog?) does not have this capability. Additionally, a stream will provide more oxygenation to the water due to the turbulence created by the flow over rock and gravel. A stream may not have the surface area inherent in a wetlands filter but, unless the pond has a very high fish load, this extra SSA is not needed. If one has the space and inclination, a pond with both a stream and a wetlands filter is the ideal configuration for basically problem-free water quality.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Shredders and grinders... I don't know what that is but now I want them. Both of them.
With having limited room though would a "stream" still be a stream even if it ends up being a super short fat watery rocky area the is fed by my new filter and dumps into the pond?

Sorry for all my technical descriptions... :rolleyes:

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm going to guestimate that I have somewhere around 10' to the fence line. I will try and take some measurements when I get home and sketch the area out. I can't go too far along the fence because the property slopes down.

Ohh another question. I just saw Nepen's picture and wondered if you could go from a bog set up (upflow filter) which gets shallower or turns into a stream?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Ohh another question. I just saw Nepen's picture and wondered if you could go from a bog set up (upflow filter) which gets shallower or turns into a stream?

Depends. If the wetlands (bog) filter is used as just another bio-filter then the answer is yes. However, if a wetlands (bog) filter's purpose is in keeping with the same accepted norms of commercially engineered wetlands filters, that is.....to polish the water, the flow rate will not be sufficient to support a stream.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Is the difference in purpose defined by the flow rate?
I have a second 2400 GPH pump that I need to utilize somehow to get the turnover rate for my pond.
Here are my pond related issues with this.
I have a flat small space, if I go further back the yard slopes down so digging in and building up will be tough.
I want the sound of a waterfall, it's a small yard so it can't be too terribly "roaring".
I want to keep the greenery that I have either in a stream or bog configuration.

For some reason I keep thinking I can set up a "bog" using my second pump and plumbing it for upflow
I can then set up my filter box at the far end of the bog to get additional water flow to the waterfall. I understand there will be some channeling with that but I am not sure if it would be a terrible set up since the green growy things will hide the filter box.
From the bog I can do a step down to a short stream/shallow pond area that would be maybe 1 concrete block high that would then "waterfall" into the pond.
This would allow me to build it all with concrete block and blend and would require little digging. It would also give me a deep bog area to plant and a shallow area for flowers and birds to be.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Soooo hard to visualize... Can you just build it, let us have a look see, and then we will throw in our 2 cents!

In other words, I have nothing to add but your excitement is contagious!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Try to do both. This is my uncleaned pond bottom since last spring. There is about a 1/4 inch of stuff on the bottom. This is the 5 foot deep area. The lumps are trapdoor snails that are huge. The green growing hornwort.
tmp_3619-photostudio_1461006322177378053643.jpg

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You are plannig well tbendl. My planning was limited to our slope and where the sucker could be sort of level.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
LOL see the only slope I have is away from the pond.
Yeah I really want to make sure that after this rebuild I'm done for awhile except maintenance. That is kinda my concern about the bog since mine is brown and nasty and only been up and running for almost 2 years. It could be due to the size of the plumbing I used but I really don't want to clean something like this out in the future. Lol
I have time still since the new filter is cycling.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I don't know how I managed to miss this thread! Looking forward to your rebuild. Informative info here as I have been considering adding a bog for some time now. Can't wait to see what you do T.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
LOL see the only slope I have is away from the pond.
Yeah I really want to make sure that after this rebuild I'm done for awhile except maintenance. That is kinda my concern about the bog since mine is brown and nasty and only been up and running for almost 2 years. It could be due to the size of the plumbing I used but I really don't want to clean something like this out in the future. Lol
I have time still since the new filter is cycling.

I am not sure why her bog is gross. It may be the size of bog to pond ratio, might be the water flow rate. Mine is big, with very good water flow. I have around 50ish fish +/- I don't even try to count them and thousands of tads.
It has been running since 2010, never stinks even after sitting turned off for months. This year it was off since 9/26 when we headed to Arizona, didn't get flipped on until the mid of March this year. No stink no gross brown and nasty stuff.

Really hope your changes work well for you Tbendl.

Reaction score
Just as remodeling is more difficult then building new, trying to find a work around will be more of problem than it is worth. You won't be able to dig a ledge without dirt falling into the filled pond. When that happens you'll be left with a real mess. The old liner can remain in and will serve as a cushion for the new liner. But it has to be clean which means swept clean of any sharp objects. Bite the bullet and drain the old pond completely. Put the fish where ever you can including plastic garbage bags. The size of the pipe you use will be dependent on the size of the pump. I wouldn't go under 1 1/2 " and I would use flexible pipe that can be glued to pvc. Check around you may find that a local garden store or Home Depot may carry liner. If so you will save the shipping. Be careful when you put the liner down that the name doesn't show. The liner I bought had written on the box which way to unroll it. The way they told you to do it placed the name on the top for all to see.

Ask a Question