Let's do it again Sam

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
That was my question, why the top? Why can't I plumb it the same as my bog, (water entering the bottom directly)?

You can plumb it however you like as long as the water enters the bottom in a circular motion. I beleive that is the key. You want the water spinning either clockwise or counter clockwise up through the media with a open water space below the media.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Geez I am sticking with bog, or upflow gravel filter with plants ufgfwp.

I am a casual ponder, WLF, BOG, UFGFWPs does an excellent job with minimal intervention from me. No desire to back wash filters, clean , drain, mess with etc. I can and have walked away from the pond over the summer with no ill effects, except for way overgrown lilies and massive amount of bog plants to yank.

Winter yank the pump, carry into the house .............done (ignoring the tiny bit of cleaning I do)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I think that a wetlands filter, properly designed, can be maintenance free, except for pruning and maybe changing around the plant selection every now and then.
With a wetlands filter, you have mechanical, biological and chemical filtering.
With a canister filter, you only have mainly mechanical and biological filtering.

For example, a wetlands filter will help remove phosphorus, a canister filter will not.

Both types of filters will struggle though, if the pond is over stocked or over fed.
That should be the first consideration when deciding on filtration for the pond water.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I thought about re-doigng my pond all the time but I probably wont until we move again. but this is a pretty informative post :)

Good luck T!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Both types of filters will struggle though, if the pond is over stocked or over fed.
That should be the first consideration when deciding on filtration for the pond water.

This is a great point. I have had great success with 2 skippies and small bog, but I have 9 Koi (ranging in 4" to 16") and about 10 comets (soon to be rehomed) in a 5000 gallon pond and I only feed twice a day at the warmest times and much less for the rest of the season.

I cannot say how well my filtration would work with a heavy fish load and heavy feeding.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I just originally built the pond with the plan of no fish.
I now have fishues
A lot of fishues. So I want to rebuild it the right way 1 time and then just plan on maintaining. I figured that eventually a bog will have to be flushed out so building it in a container that comes with a drain would make long term maintenance easier but whatever I need to do for my fish load is what I'd (cost being a factor) like to do.

Ask a Question