addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Take a coin toss in air go with the choice! ;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Also, would this work... If I drop the pond level down just a bit I could dig the shelf before having to empty the pond. Could I then save as much pond water, moving the fish into buckets or a kiddie pool. Refill the pond like the same day with the new liner, drop the old liner back in on top of it, fill, and put the fish back in after a short period of time?

You don't need to dig a shelf for rocks. You can simply use the ground level for your rock shelf. Then back fill behind the liner with either rocks or dirt. If you use dirt you can plant ground cover type plants right up to the pond. having your liner like this also helps to prevent run off into your pond.

I have done this around my pond about 1-4 inches depending on the side of the pond. It has worked well since 2011.

Excuse my extremely talented drawing LOL

liner edge.jpg

Last edited:

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
That should stir up the natives!:eek:
LOL. ;)
Have you lost your mind????
Have you met me? I'm flattered you think there was a mind to begin with :woot:

Pecan, actually your design is what made me consider it, well yours and RobAmy's. I love my bog but the reality is that with the size of it, I am assuming it will have to be cleaned of gunk at some point which means pulling everything out versus some type of media filter, which can be easily cleaned.

I'm looking at some way to have a fairly simple filter, which would flow into a holding pond/stream that then flows into the pond. Again a cross between your setup and RobAmy. I think it would give me the ability to still have some plant growth without the potential work to clean in future years.
I will check out pond liner and I like the idea of building up a lip but with some of the torrential rains, I think it would eventually weaken and leak. We get some pretty extensive rain down here and the water runoff can be brutal.

Anyone familiar with the Oase BioSmart filter? I briefly looked at it yesterday and it seemed fairly compact, easy to clean and install. Although I'm always a bit leary about buying something that has specific parts that need to be replaced on a regular basis, since they may stop making them. But anyway, I'm up for suggestions. The link is to the filter.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=5163+5186+5226+12829&pcatid=12829

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Since there are a bazzillion (I counted) types of filters out there, are there any basic parameters I should look for? Both bog and man made filters?

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Saw something on u-tube about skippy filters and indicated 100 gallon container was good for a 3000 gallon pond for filtration. Does that sound right?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have a 100 gallon and the temporary one is a 30 gallon which will go back to a 60 gallon one and pond is 5000 gallons

Ask a Question