sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
2 filters are both done the same way and never really had a problem .As long as I pump the gunk from the filters .I tried to make it easy and fast for me since the time I have to work on the pond is limited in the summer .

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Anyone familiar with the Oase BioSmart filter

Oase is one of the few manufacturers that includes some form of fish load in determining what size pond each filter is suitable for. See below link:
http://us.oase-livingwater.com/en_U...rs-and-aerators/biosmart-gravity-filters.html

I mention this because fish load is ultimately the determining factor in not only the size of the biofilter but also the type of filter media that is used if you are looking to maximize your filtration's efficiency.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I constructed my 2 Skippy filters out of 40 gallon medical-grade (hemodialysis) barrels. Any food-grade barrel will do. These look after about 4000 gallons. I didn't necessarily need 2, but the waterfall is 6 feet across, so needed the spread. Each skippy is supplied by its own pump (again, overkill.....but I needed the flow for the waterfall).

Like Sissy said, those bread trays (pilfered, of course), sitting on top of milk crates (again, pilfered of course), ABS plumbing pipe and fittings are all you need. I used two filter pads, cut to fit, one that is coarse and one that is medium. The "fine" is too fine. I typically clean these once a year during shutdown using a shopvac, all the crap on the bottom of the barrels goes into the gardens.

No bog for me as there are ample free growing plants within the pond itself and the Skippy's do a wonderful job on their own with no added help required.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
True about fish load .I only have 16 fish in 5000 gallons so these 2 filters are fine .If I had more fish then I would worry and also if you over feed then that will add to problems .My stuff was free thanks to Alex as a guy that delivered bread left about 300+ on his property 10 years ago and never came back to get them .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Since there are a bazzillion (I counted) types of filters out there, are there any basic parameters I should look for? Both bog and man made filters?
Can't help with this Tbendl, I have been bog driven for around 20 years now, I have almost no care ponds. Plants grooming more than anything. The ponds and bogs have taken care of themselves. Never yet have I cleaned a bog. Except yanking some of the explosive growth.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I went with 1 100 and 1 70 gallon based on the Skippy design people recommendation for the size of my pond. Here is there site. Good information on building skippies, do's and don'ts. I read the site front to back before building mine.

http://www.skippysstuff.com/biofiltr.htm (I did not purchase anything from them, just used the site to get info)

My first skippy had the water entering the pipe over the top. With the re-build I used a hole saw and bulkhead to bring the pipe through the side. This was purely to keep the plumbing low for the deck build. The pipe inside the tank was the same on both my old and new. The water enters a piece of PCV going straight down to the bottom where it T's with directional outlets so the water spins from the bottom up.

Things I wish I would have done initially that I ended up doing later...

Add water regulator valves before the water enters the skippy so you can adjust the flow if needed.
And Drain out valves which I mentioned already.

The second time around I also put a small air stone in the inlet pipe hooked to an air pump. So the water coming in to the bottom is filled with air bubbles which I heard really really helps the good bacteria to grow.

I stubbed the inlet pipe up the center of the tank with a small hole to feed the air hose through. The air stone is inside the pipe.

DSCN8403.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Can't help with this Tbendl, I have been bog driven for around 20 years now, I have almost no care ponds. Plants grooming more than anything. The ponds and bogs have taken care of themselves. Never yet have I cleaned a bog. Except yanking some of the explosive growth.

Same here - going on year six with our wetland filter (@Meyer Jordan has converted me from using the word "bog" haha!) and we have never "cleaned" it. I thin the plants constantly, but that's another story!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Same here - going on year six with our wetland filter (@Meyer Jordan has converted me from using the word "bog" haha!) and we have never "cleaned" it. I thin the plants constantly, but that's another story!
ok ok wet land filter, just more letters to type!

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I mention this because fish load is ultimately the determining factor in not only the size of the biofilter but also the type of filter media that is used if you are looking to maximize your filtration's efficiency.
Where do I look for that info. Given my pond parameters and fish load do you have any recommendations given our extreme heat down here. Most of what I have been reading for filters indicates low fish load in shade.

Thanks Morewater and Sissy.
And addy, I am considering keeping the bog just planting in a stock tank so the bottom drain is available. I just want to make sure I have sufficient filtration for all the fish.
I had only planned on 6 and am around 25-30 now! Lol

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The second time around I also put a small air stone in the inlet pipe hooked to an air pump. So the water coming in to the bottom is filled with air bubbles which I heard really really helps the good bacteria to grow.
That was my question, why the top? Why can't I plumb it the same as my bog, (water entering the bottom directly)?
And see that is my question... Which filter is more effective for my set up. I need to rebuild my bog when I do the pond overhaul. I was concerned that eventually the bog would need to be cleaned out just from years of accumulated dirt and the only way to do that, would be to empty it, shop vac, and then refill. If I rebuild it in a stock tank, I'd have the drain hole available. I would just add some type of drain cover to keep the gravel from draining or clogging it.

What was the percentage of bog to pond filtration? 20%?

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I don't know who to give them too!!! I need to check at PetSmart and see if they will take them. But honestly as often as these rascals have babies, I don't know that I can keep up. I'm hoping they will eventually slow down.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I was looking at the 5000. But the issue is what is considered moderate fish load? My pond size is only in the 2000 range so I am well below the range but again, not sure what constitutes moderate fish load.
I am wondering if I could use this as a pre-filter that then goes into a bog, if that would be sufficient.

Ask a Question