Looking for an appropriate filter w/ uv

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9e
Country
United States
After trying to go with natural filtration (limited fish, bog plants and lots of cover from other pond plants), I am looking at buying a filter with uv. My pond is about 1000 gallons with a 2200 gph pump. I have a decent pump due to a waterfall feature. Our local pond store carries a pond max brand filter w/ uv for $268 but the guy said I would have to divert some of the water with a "T" because that particular filter cannot handle a pump that strong. They have bigger filters at my pond store but I really do not want to spend that much $$$ so I was looking at Amazon and wondered if anyone here has experience with any of these filter/uv systems?

XtremepowerUS 10000 koi Pond Pressure Bio Filter UV Sterilizer

2014 NEW SUNSUN CPF-5000 3500 GPH Backwash Pressurized Bio Pond Filter with 18W UV Sterilizer Clarifier

Best Choice Products 4000 gal Pressure Bio Filter with Uv Sterilizer Light Koi, 13W

They are in the $100-$150 range but I wonder if they can really handle my pump (without diverting water with a 'T") Their rating says "yes" but they appear to be the same size as the pond max filter that I was told could not. The reason I do not want to divert water is more chance for leaks and more stuff to hide. The sun sun product is appealing because it has a crank that helps clean the filters without taking apart the filter just like that Pond Max brand.

Suggestions? Thanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
In order for your UV to be effective, water needs to pass fairly slowly, by it. You might want to consider a separate pump for your new filter, one that is rated for the filter.

Earlier this summer AZ Ponds rans some specials that paired pumps with filters. There are lots of good sites, and many specials at this time of year.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use a small pump on my U.v.'s and got them off ebay at topdog seller for 30 dollars and under 18 watt and 9 watt .Never had one before but got peoples sick fish and needed them to keep water clearer so I could tend to there health .Replacement bulbs were cheaper on cll pets on ebay .So if you don't mind ebay a good choice to save money .Right now is the best time to shop around lots of sales on most of the sights

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
After trying to go with natural filtration (limited fish, bog plants and lots of cover from other pond plants), I am looking at buying a filter with uv. My pond is about 1000 gallons with a 2200 gph pump. I have a decent pump due to a waterfall feature. Our local pond store carries a pond max brand filter w/ uv for $268 but the guy said I would have to divert some of the water with a "T" because that particular filter cannot handle a pump that strong. They have bigger filters at my pond store but I really do not want to spend that much $$$ so I was looking at Amazon and wondered if anyone here has experience with any of these filter/uv systems?

XtremepowerUS 10000 koi Pond Pressure Bio Filter UV Sterilizer

2014 NEW SUNSUN CPF-5000 3500 GPH Backwash Pressurized Bio Pond Filter with 18W UV Sterilizer Clarifier

Best Choice Products 4000 gal Pressure Bio Filter with Uv Sterilizer Light Koi, 13W

They are in the $100-$150 range but I wonder if they can really handle my pump (without diverting water with a 'T") Their rating says "yes" but they appear to be the same size as the pond max filter that I was told could not. The reason I do not want to divert water is more chance for leaks and more stuff to hide. The sun sun product is appealing because it has a crank that helps clean the filters without taking apart the filter just like that Pond Max brand.

Suggestions? Thanks.
Jesus Why on earth do you wish to employ a UV sterilizer Fraizer it seems your going for total overkill in your pond I cannot undertand why???
When in reality a UC-C is all that is needed for your pond , ours ours is 1,000 imperial gallons which is slighlty more water than your 1,000 US gallons.
What we employ on our own pond is a 36 watt Aquapond UV-C
But things have come on since then Tetra do a similar model to this but at a less wattage than the Aqua pond for the same 1,000 gallon Imperial .
In our veiw a sterilizer is complete over kill so save some money and buy a UV-C instead ..

Dave

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9e
Country
United States
Dave 54,
I am just trying to achieve a balance so that the healthy bacteria survive but the "pea soup" is gone . I am certainly only looking for a clarifier but I have to keep in mind my Pump's flow rate is 2200 gph and that will be pushing a lot of water through these filters and uv. I do not think my flow rate will be so slow that the uv will kill everything. If anything, it is probably too fast? Anyway, this is one of the reasons I am asking on the forum- to find out what people really use and what works.
What kind of pump are you running with that 36 watt Aquapond UV-C? What sort of filter?

Reaction score
I did a posting on the Pro Clear 30 watt UV light that I installed. The flow from my pump is much greater than yours. I did a bypass as well as valves to slow the water flow down. The UV light along with a home made skippy filter keeps theb pond clear.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It looks like a Laguna pressure flow 3000 would pair up well with your pump but you are looking at almost $400. I don't think any of the cheaper filters you mentioned would be enough capacity for your pump.

Ask a Question