Lotus depth

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Howdy all. I'm contemplating drilling a hole in my 100 gallon stock tank that my lotus live in and I'm wondering what the consensus is on their optimum depth? Thank you in advance for your replies.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
What exactly is your question? What does the hole have to do with the depth that lotus prefer? (and if you're already growing them, what depth are they at?)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Sorry for being unclear. They are currently growing at around 10 inches and I am wondering if they would be adversely affected in deeper water -- say 18"?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
2-4" is the recommended depth for lotus. Are you planning on moving the lotus? Not quite sure how drilling a hole in the tank would increase the depth.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I'm currently returning the water to the bog via a hose over the top of the stock tank and thought I might want to drill a hole instead and raise the water level. But it sounds like I may already have them too deep. Thank you, I'll keep that in mind as I reconsider my plans.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Gotcha! The written word can be tough... sometimes we know exactly what we're saying, but it's as clear as mud to the rest of the world! If you're lotuses are doing well at the current depth, I wouldn't worry about it. Don't fix what ain't broke!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They are currently growing at around 10 inches
Mine are about 10 inches plus deep planted in around 2 feet of litter in a 300 gallon stock tank.
Running wild as they say and they do wonderfully. The tub is partially buried which protects it from our freezes.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Once a lotus is established and has a good root system, 10" is not a problem. I would hesitate to go deeper unless you can raise the plant in the spring. All of mine are in containers, I will drop mine into the pond this fall, 2-3-1/2' deep to protect from freezing. I cover my 75 gallon preform with foam board.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I never thought about depth when I put them all into the stock tank. It was a sort of toss in (they all were in individual containers) kept tipping over finally just did a dump. (winter) and they ignored my lack of caution and did great.

I am not the easiest on plants................. I push their limits.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Like @addy1 i tend to try things with my plants if they make it great if not, oh well. Had lotus growing loose in the pond, for years in about 18-20” of water and it did fine, but I started it in about 10”, then just let it go when it jumped the pot. It actually did better in the deeper water once it got going.

No longer have it as I thinned back the tubers a little too severely a few years back. It started slowly losing out to the water lilies, then tried moving the last few tubers left and finished it off, as it didn’t like the new location I put it in.

Ask a Question