Unhappy lotus

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings,

I wonder if you might be able to comment on my dilemma. Here is the story: last August we had bought a yellow lotus tuber and kept it in a pot in our greenhouse over winter. We had dug up some not so fertile soil out of a seepage area in our woods - acidy. A portion of the tuber had rotted, but a long part survived. So, we placed the pot outside in the spring. Slowly the leaves started to appear. We had placed a suitable fertilizer tablet in the soil. Recently, the soil started to pile up at the edge of the pot. We suspected a land crab. They were at our seepage area and we thought some eggs must have developed. So we dug with the hands and found a long earth worm, who apparently survived under water. We then added potting soil underneath the tubers, one with six month slow release fertilizer. Now the leaves - after about a week - start to shrivel, that is the earlier small ones.
Question: did we do wrong with the potting soil? We surely could replace it again with the earlier type.

Thanks for the help!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Greetings,

I wonder if you might be able to comment on my dilemma. Here is the story: last August we had bought a yellow lotus tuber and kept it in a pot in our greenhouse over winter. We had dug up some not so fertile soil out of a seepage area in our woods - acidy. A portion of the tuber had rotted, but a long part survived. So, we placed the pot outside in the spring. Slowly the leaves started to appear. We had placed a suitable fertilizer tablet in the soil. Recently, the soil started to pile up at the edge of the pot. We suspected a land crab. They were at our seepage area and we thought some eggs must have developed. So we dug with the hands and found a long earth worm, who apparently survived under water. We then added potting soil underneath the tubers, one with six month slow release fertilizer. Now the leaves - after about a week - start to shrivel, that is the earlier small ones.
Question: did we do wrong with the potting soil? We surely could replace it again with the earlier type.

Thanks for the help!
this is a job for ... wait for it... @mrsclem , our SUPER LOTUS SUPER HERO! If she can't do it, nobody can! Well, okay, there MIGHT be others but I'm not paid to promote them...:):):)

(she'll be the one in the blue leotard sporting a huge L somewhere on her uniform...the cape is straight out of Cap'n Marvel!)

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Were the leaves on top of the water or up in the air? lotus should not be fertilized before several leaves are above water. How deep is the water you have the lotus in?
(she'll be the one in the blue leotard sporting a huge L somewhere on her uniform...the cape is straight out of Cap'n Marvel!)
It's actually bright pink!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1626480672817.gif
@rabun smith

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Potting soil has a high peat content, harshly acidic. Plain fertile dirt would be better, feed when good growth starts to slow.... Lotus like a steady temperature, steady fertility...

Ask a Question