Made a offer on the new place today.

Reaction score
fishin4cars said:
Shot a quick video yesterday of the babies getting to explore for the first time.
Got a kick out of watching the little guy jump in the water trough. :lol:

We use to have milk goats years ago and had one bred. She produced a couple kids and I use to bring one of the baby kids to the school sometimes when I picked up our "kids". The other children getting out of school screamed in delight when they played with that little goat, and the baby goat seemed to relish it just as much. It was funny to watch, the more the kids played and laughed with the baby goat, the more excited he would get and it seemed like he instinctively knew just how to play with a large group of children and keep them all entertained.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think mama tries to keep those babies in line constantly w/ her stern bleating. Ha ha see what happens when the little one didn't pay attention................that was so cute :biggrin:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
What a good mama she is! Those babies were intent on exploring, and she was so worried about them all the time! The little one's tiny cries were so cute when he was behind the gate. And I did an "OMG" out loud when it fell into the water trough! Here, that baby would have been rushed inside and blow dried, to keep it from getting hypothermia. Guess my brain cannot wrap around it's so much warmer there. Seeing fall leaves on the ground confirmed your mild temps. Such darling kids!
Our first dairy goat was a buck kid, born on Jan. 1, mama died having his sibling, but he had nursed, so had colostrum. He was raised in our basement until it got warmer, and we fed him wayyyyy too much (they only need to be bottle fed 3 times a day until 1 month, then just 2x/day). He became our watch dog. Seriously, when he got big ... and man did he get BIG ... he would put himself between my kids and neighbors or any strangers that came over. And, he'd give you that sideways glance that said, "If you do not leave my human alone, I'm gonna butt you in the gut!" You had to give him a wide berth. He loved to butt. LOL These pygmies will be so cute watching them grow up. Did I hear your buck calling to them, too, toward the end, right before the little guy fell in the water trough?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
LOL, The reason the video shut off right when it did is I ran inside and got a towel and dried her off. I felt so bad, she was shivering. It's not that cold but it was about 40 degrees outside and I imagine the water was even colder than that! Yea, you heard her Daddy in the background. Roll is making all kinds of sounds, spitting, being a cranky ole man right now. Rock has become kind of off to himself since Roll gets all mad and bullies him. I let Rock walk in back with me in the second fiels today and I think he enjoyed the time alone, at least until he can get back in and visit with his girls... :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So so cute! Not letting my honey see them, he will want goats again. Keep telling him we can't have them if he wants to travel like he wants to, once he is not working, which is soon.

Reaction score
fishin4cars said:
LOL, The reason the video shut off right when it did is I ran inside and got a towel and dried her off. I felt so bad, she was shivering. It's not that cold but it was about 40 degrees outside and I imagine the water was even colder than that! Yea, you heard her Daddy in the background. Roll is making all kinds of sounds, spitting, being a cranky ole man right now. Rock has become kind of off to himself since Roll gets all mad and bullies him. I let Rock walk in back with me in the second fiels today and I think he enjoyed the time alone, at least until he can get back in and visit with his girls... :)
LOL, When our little goats were born it was early spring and still very cold out, and where the mother gave birth their compound was in the shade. I remember watching the little guys just standing there shivering like crazy, still all soaking wet from just being born. Fortunately it was sunny out though, so we hauled them all out of the compound to a sunny area. Within minutes of the sun hitting them they stopped shivering and were started jumping around playing with our kids and looking for trouble.
Baby goats are a lot of fun, but that being said adult goats can be a royal pain in the butt, especially billy goats. The mother of our baby goats was an exceptional goat though, she was a Lamancha goat, a champion milker and incredibly well behaved. Unfortunately her kids were crossed with something else and never took on her characteristics when they grew up.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
My friend up the road has one or more of the Lamancha type goats and she has this special one that she just loves the milk she gets from her. Guess every goat can have a different taste to their milk.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Different goat breeds have higher cream content than others, just like dairy cow breeds. I think Saanens (pure white, ears are upright) tend to be thought of as the heaviest milkers, goat dairies typically have just Saanens, or Saanen crosses. Nubians (large breed, ears hang down) also are heavy milkers. Bad thing about Nubians, they are loud mouths. Go to a State Fair where all breeds are present, and you WILL know when the Nubians are showing. Their buddies will be screaming their heads off back in the pens. LOL My daughter had Toggenburgs, which are light tan with white socks and markings on their heads, look very much like deer, and Alpines - all different colors, upright ears, large bodies. Son had Nubians, his favorite breed! His dad was not impressed with what turned out to be his very best doe, Sweet Pea, as she would scream as soon as she saw anyone moving around outside. LOL I told Matt she was calling his name ... it sure sounded like "Maaaaaaaaaatt"! I loved having goats. They have tons of personality. Well, I think I like about any type of animal. Like to get to know them and their mannerisms. Had goats for about 12 years, so learned all there was to know about them.
I'm glad your baby got toweled off, Larkin. Bet he/she was really happy about that!

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Had a fellow come by and give me a hand today and we worked on all the fences to make sure all or at least all the holes we could find that one of the babies might could get through was back filled with dirt, added some new fence posts and made some modifications to the barn, Sweetie, our newest doe looks like she may be the next to drop, The Daddy to her baby was with her when we got her. He has much bigger horns, mane, and longer chin hair than my males now. He also had some spotting so we are hoping for one from her to be a little different color than the rest of the herd. Little Lamb will probably be the last to drop. The babies were out today while we were working and they are so much fun to watch. They are already forming quite different personalities, Precious (I guess that may become her name) is very friendly and like being held, Rolly Polly likes to play chase. He doesn't care with who, it can be the little sister, me, Momma, or even one of the other adult does. He will run up to someone and then run off if you walk toward hm, the more you chase the more he comes back for more. they area hoot to watch!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Loved that video - poor little thing falling in that water trough! They are very cute, I love it when they bounce around :luxlove:

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Well 12-31-13 and again we have more babies to report. Sweetie and Rock are happy to announce the birth of there set of twins at noon today. To young to try and sex or move around yet. may be able to later this evening or early in the morning. Precious and Rolly Pollie were posing as twins so had to add a coupe of pics of them as well.

Attachments

• DSC05975.JPG
    DSC05975.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 207
  • DSC05970.JPG
    DSC05970.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 237
  • DSC05951.JPG
    DSC05951.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 204
  • DSC05963.JPG
    DSC05963.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 261
  • DSC05964.JPG
    DSC05964.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 216
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
If you put those last two pics in a row, and click back and forth fast, what fun! That's really cute how they both were looking at you, then both scratching their sides or looking backwards. Glad you got a black baby, so something different. The other new baby looks to be carmel like his/her mother. Cute cute cute!!!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
OH so sweet you just want to squish there cute little faces up to yours and give them a big kiss :biggrin:
Didn't you do just that Larkin? What babies are coming up next on your farm?

Ask a Question