Made a offer on the new place today.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Larkin I really like the wood that you surrounded your pond with really completes the wall and the pond. Do you have an overflow on that pond?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Todd, I have one but I think it is a bit to small for Tropical storms and Hurricanes. LOL It's a 2" line that is in the skimmer. The overflow can handle about 2" of rain a hour. Anything over that flows out and around the sides of the waterfall at the ends of the benches. No fish can escape so I can make adjustments for this round. I still have to make a drain area for overflow water to go to the main pond without allowing pond life to get in the main pond, Both plants and fry. Right now there are screens that catch most everything. I like the sides, they can be unscrewed in the middle and just lifted off. Two people can take them off in under 10 minutes. They make a nice bench, keeps the little ones and the blind pug from walking off into the pond, and I'm hoping makes a great place to hand feed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
OK, thanks, Larkin. I've bought plants from Andy, so I'll give him a shout, see what he thinks. Yes, the turtles do use them to stand on, I would guess. I've not seen any birds land on the lilies, so that's out. I know the turtles are munching on some of the flowers, as I've seen some of them half eaten. BTW, all of my lilies are hardies, except one from Andy, and I just added two tropicals today. Thanks for your thoughts and opinions, both of you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Larkin, great pics on your Showcase thread! That new pond you dug out will be interesting to see how full it gets after Isaac comes through. I hope it doesn't get washed away!
And, I couldn't understand the tall solid wood fence, until I saw the house nearby. I never saw a house in any of your other pics! Guess you wanted some privacy, or maybe to keep your area safer, since you have several ponds and lots of animals, although I didn't see any animals. Do you have them at your place yet, or still have them somewhere else?
And, I have to ask, what is kept in the small shed that has the "Beware of Dog" sign on it, and the AC in the back, and ramp going down on the backside? I'm wondering if it's for rabbits! Once saw domestic rabbits that had their own pen, and were tame would come up to be petted. But, they had their babies in the dirt, dug nests under the edge of the building.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
CE, I'm hoping it doesn't get washed away either! LOL we had a thunderstorm last week that washed part of the levee out after I flipped the tractor. we were finally able to get down in there again and got the overflow pipes in place. This will tell the tell if it will hold water or not. The solid wood fence is to hide the people i'm constantly having issues with. the land right behind the fence is the land dispute property. they have two mobile homes and a partially burned down house with about 10 junk cars. all on supposedly 1 acre of land. I wanted privacy from them!
The beware of dog building is the dog house. Our pug is blind and deaf, So I built the back porch for her so she had a ramp to safely go out and take care of her business. We keep the air on about 80 all the time so they have a place to cool down if noone is here and they need to stay out there. It's heated too. Little spoiled huh? lol We still haven't decided on what animals we/SHE wants. we had two horses but the person that gave them to us had a problem with the people he was keeping his horses at and he ended up selling them before we could get our land ready, then we got a Alpaca, She stayed at the breeders place and got pregnant. It's due to have it's baby in march so he's holding on to her for now. he's made offers to let us pick out another one, or a pair of Nubian goats,(I want but the wife doesn't like them.) So we have a farm and no animals for it yet. LOL The fence still has a spot I'm not comfortable with behind the spillway of the new pond. I'm still kind of waiting out the storm and see what happens back there and see what measures need to be taken to fix that area, It's just a spot that a small animal could get under or a racoon or small bobcat COULD get in. But it's where the water goes during heavy rains so I have to figure that spot out. We have talked about rabbits, I doubt that we will do that, Chickens, Probably will get a few laying hens once we can get ther pen built and a coop built. I want minature, horse, pigs, donkey something like that, the wife want riding horses so who knows??????lol

whiskey

Always trying to perfect something fishy
Reaction score
Hi larkin its Whiskey [terry]

Its been awhile since i read your threads, ponds coming on fine, looking really great something out of a picture book.
Must say your fast becoming a dr dolittle but thats a side of you, for the better and the animals and fish.

Are your so called Hobos and privacy issues threating, a wooden fence is not fire proof....steel is....being they have a burned out shell of a house.

anyway keep up the good work im back on my feet again, so i`ll be back out in my garden today, playing with a different kind of waterworks. he he

whiskey[terry]

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Larkin, sounds like you will have a baby Alpaca soon, won't that be adorable! So, you will have two right off the bat. I must say, if you want goats, Nubians are the "mouthiest" of all the breeds, IMO. My daughter used to show Toggenburgs, and they were very quiet, son had Nubians, VERY loud. At shows, you ALWAYS knew when the Nubians were showing, the whole barn was noisy. But, if you like the floppy ears, they are the only ones that have that! Now, if you want a mini goat, don't get pygmies, unless you or the owner bottle raises them. And, they have those pot bellies. If you want mini, but dairy style goat, get Nigerian Dwarfs. They are actually milk producers, but on a much smaller level, and look like mini dairy goats. Very sleek, pretty bodies, no pot bellies on them, and small size like the pygmies. Ideal! Check them out.
I would like a mini donkey, too. There is a guy lives right up the road from me has a gray baby with the wither and leg stripes! Adorable!!! Very lovable, too. He also has a white with gray spots paint one but he's going to keep him for a stud.
And, if the wife wants a riding horse, get her one, or two so you can go riding, too! They all get along great with the goats and mini donkeys. Probably the Alpaca as well. My horses were with our goats, no problems at all.
I can't wait to see your alpaca and the new baby in March. Hope you're weather Isaac! I heard LA was getting hit hard earlier today. Stay safe!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They are saying most of la is without power, it might be awhile until they can communicate.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Well the Alpaca's never materialized, The wife never decided on getting a horse and then this week we found a couple that was thinning their herd of Pygmy goats, all were bottle fed from young and have been handled since young. We got two males, Rock and Roll, Rock is the Black with the white spot, Roll has the Emo look, Then there are the two girls, Lamb Looks like a white lamb with horns and is the smallest and youngest of the herd, she is 2 years old. The brown female didn't have a name and we haven't come up with one yet. She is the oldest at 5 years old. The boys are brothers and they are three. We also got our first chickens, a trio of Lemon Cuckoo Orpingtons. The chicken pen isn't ready yet so we are having to keep them inside until there pen is ready this next week. So I guess we can now call the Ponderosa an actual farm.

Attachments

• DSC04510.JPG
    DSC04510.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 233
  • DSC04511.JPG
    DSC04511.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 272
  • DSC04517.JPG
    DSC04517.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 277
  • DSC04515.JPG
    DSC04515.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 255
  • DSC04516.JPG
    DSC04516.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 282

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hee Hee I think the one w/ the hair hanging down in his eyes is cool........guess that is what you call the Emo look :biggrin:
Now are you gonna breed them or milk them and have goats milk too? My friend up the road milks hers and loves the stuff. She says each milking goat has its own flavor and some are better than others. She made some cheese out of it too. Tasted pretty good, real creamy! I have a feeling we will be hearing some stories on the goats as they can be real characters and get into all kinds of trouble if you're not very watchful of them.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
JW, my understanding and I have to thank CE for bringing it up in a post way back when. Dwarf goats are more milk goats, pygmys are more meat goats, NOT that I plan on eating any of them. They can be milked but again, that's not what they are for. We are raising them more as pets. The grandkids will love playing with them. And for what they go for around here babies bring a nice little income. In fact I enjoyed working around them today. They are always checking out what is going on. Rock is the character, He's the black one. He head butted Cujo (The St. Benard mix breed that adopted us)today, It was so funny I almost fainted I laughed so hard. You would think Big ole Cujo would be like what was that, OH NO, He left yelping, then was scared to death of Rock the rest of the afternoon. Mind you, Rock weighs a whopping 33# Cujo weighs 153#. Butch sits by the pen and watches them, he's not interested in going in the pen but he seriously watched over them all afternoon. Drake is licking his chops watching the chickens. We had a couple of introductions today. I'm thinking given a chance Drake would get one of the chickens. So that's pretty high on the priority list is to make sure the new additions get all the dogs approval and learn that the new arrivals are suppose to be here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Rock and Roll are a very handsome pair! :) Have you got a name for the brown female yet? Her coat is a lovely colour, how about something like Caramel / Cinnamon / Autumn?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ahhh! And I just missed getting to meet them! Assuming you'll have a pen for the chicks, but where will the goats be? My Mom told me stories of her childhood, and always made me want a "watch-goose"! Bet Drake wouldn't mess with the birds any more after an encounter with a goose! LOL, about the head-butt -- poor, sweet Cujo!

OK, for [boy] names, since you live on the PONDEROSA..... Hoss, Little Joe, Adam, Ben, Hop Sing, Coffee (the sheriff), Candy.... Used to know the name of Little Joe's [paint] horse. Then for girl names [GUNSMOKE] -- Ruth (Festus' mule), Miss Kitty... And I like Becky's suggestions, too.

Oh, and when/if you ever get that riding horse for your wife, let me know so I can plan another visit :)

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Lesson on raising goats, they are right beside you when you are working on something, But when your ready to put them in the barn at night they always go to the back of the property and will not come when called!! Lesson two, when carrying goats, be aware they have horns, horns are hard and hurt badly when jerking around. Lesson three, Who ever said goats will keep bushes and grass kept down, that may be true, AFTER they eat everything you wanted to keep. BTW, Goats love Water lettuce, water hyacinths, Parrots feather, Figs, Blueberries and black berries ALOT. Needless to say, I no longer have any of the fore mentioned plants behind the barn now. Only other thing they can possibly eat that I would love to keep is my two Large oak trees, Wonder how long it will take before they eat them too.
Oh and did you know that baby chickens are louder than a 100 watt sound surround system, I didn't either until I tried to watch NCIS which is the wifes favorite show. Depending on where you are IF you stay in the house the chickens can be louder, and Roosters ARE louder.
I like the names suggested, At this moment in time the brown has a name, however I think it's best I not put that here. (Profanity is not tolerated and is reason for being banned) So everyone can use their own imagination here. But I will give a hint. 95 degrees, 100 % humidity, herding goats up and down and back and forth across the back two acres. Usually resulting in having to carry at least one to the barn to get the rest to follow, and at the moment the brown one does NOT like to be caught and all the others follow her. ______-----________

Ask a Question