me and my shovel - my first pond

Reaction score
alrighty - no tetra. that set up sounds.....odd. the retro sounds pretty good and a "works great" remark from you is about all i need

Reaction score
:confused: 2nd day of digging and happy with where i got. clay under top soil and gumbo clay under clay = :faint: hopefully i can do some more over the weekend but now its time to put a few back :beer:

View attachment 2850

View attachment 2851

Attachments

• bigger hole.JPG
    bigger hole.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 242
  • biggerhole2.JPG
    biggerhole2.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 203
Reaction score
That soil looks good and damp. Almost reminds me of the swamp land where the house I grew up in was located. dark, rich soil and heavy wet grey clay. The hole I'm digging is in pure red clay. There is white and black where water runs through once in a great while. That stuff is rock hard. Tool of choice is a mattock/pick axe. I am using about 5 different shovels depending on what I am digging. makes a difference. I was going to go with a retro fit drain at first. I changed my mind and am going with a 3" Koi Toilet 2 that I am modifying to be like the Koi Toilet 1. I just want to hide as much pipe as possible. If something does go wrong, I can always cap it off and do a retro-fit. I am hoping that never happens though.

Reaction score
like i posted earlier, the pond is in a lower part of the yard and I'm in a flat area so it hold alot of water down deep - especially that gumbo - very mucky. it had also rained a couple hours before i took this pic so kinda loosened it a bit - but jus a bit. ya know - you stake it out - visualize in your mind and say "really.....that hole won't be that big or hard to dig". but man, break out that shovel and its a completely different story. much more respect for anyone who dug their pond with a shovel and old time grave diggers :confused:

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Looking good
That gumbo makes bozo shoes real fast :)
Keep that finished pond rim up above the high water you get in that corner

Reaction score
much thanks sir Dr of the Case - yeah and those bozo shoes aint light either :) . yeah i was planning on sloping up to the sides up the pond, digging a trench, putting perferated pipe in the bottom and filling it with peat gravel so to kinda direct that runoff and keep it out of the pond :fingersx:

Ask a Question