media bags

Reaction score
for our easy pro filter falls size large i bought media beads like are found in the AquaUV bead filters. initially i put them in a custom made scuba diving type bag that I wrapped around a custom made PVC box. worked well but the material in that bag only lasted a few years. i'm redoing the filter falls and want to put the media back in, but this time is 4-6 separate bags that I'll lump in together.

does anyone know anything about the linen / laundry type bags Bed and Bath sells? I wonder if those would hold up.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I don't really think there are many materials that would hold up for to long .I just use laundry bags from the dollar store and change them out .3 for 1 dollar .I even had 2 bags I got at an auction with pond supplies and they held up about the same as the dollar bags .Plus they were kinda big and bulky for my filter and the lava rock I use .We don't have bed and bath here so will have to look online .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You could make some bags out of door screening, it is some tough material that will last pretty well.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hey addy I was just going to suggest that and the screen is made of fiberglass and you can buy it in big, med. or small rolls at Lowes or H-depot for really cheap. I made floating plant rings out of it and it is holding up just great!

IMG_1257 (Large).JPG IMG_4491 (Large).JPG

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Great minds think alike! I have some that has been in use for a few years now, still looks like new, except it is dirty!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Now I might just have to make me some media bags w/ that stuff and throw them into my stainless falls filter and let them do some work in there. Guess you just make a few bags put some stuff in and toss in there eh? I'm all for ease of use and cleaning in case you haven't noticed :rolleyes:
Wondering tho since the screen is so tightly knitted if they wouldn't clog up pretty fast on the outside and the water wouldn't pass through to the media?

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
I use the laundry bags from Dollar General. Mine have lasted a good while and they were really cheap.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thats what I use but use the smaller ones and put so much lava rock in each bag and when it starts to fall apart I just put the old bag in a new bag

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
depending on how much media you need I have found for smaller applications the little seed bags you can get to put thistle seed in for birds works very well and lasts for years. I get two bags at tractor supply for $1.99. They will hold about 1# of carbon, oyster shell, etc per bag. I usually just use a zip tie to close the top of the bag up.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
funny you should say that fishin as I use them also for activated charcoal .I have been using the bigger bags lately in my filters though for that stuff also .I cannot always get the finch seed bags here at tractor supply and walmart wants over 3 dollars for 2 of them .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I buy mine from petmountain .com ,the cheap acurel brand in the bag and usually wait until they have free shipping on 50 dollars or 25 dollars .I buy my fish food from them .I put oyster shells in bags in my filters to and the crushed ones I buy at tractor supply and is for chickens .

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Now this confuses the HELL out of me... we can't get oyster shell at feed stores any more, apparently because Obama has some kind of new law against raiding the oyster beds. So how come YOU can still buy them, right under Obama's nose??? :profile: :profile:
John

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
not sure but chicken farmers use them alot here to strengthen hen egg shells guess we will to make it like drugs and send you some

Ask a Question