My 5,000 Gal Pond Build In Photos

Reaction score
With my tiny pond and seeing what many of you are doing I see myself as a small fish in a big pond but I've become enamored with it all. I came upon this source for fish right here in my own territory and now I'm wondering how much of the backyard my landlord will let me tear out. LOL I love the Watonai!

http://www.raingarden.us/

Reaction score
Dr. Dave, yhey are just in a clear container with a sewing cutting board underneath. LOL!

You are right DoDad, they do waddle! It's funny to see them in a spawning situation. The rest of the fish are fast to get to the female and the watonai males waddle as fast as they can to meet up with the female, but never quite make it in time.

Chrysalis, you've got Steve from Raingarden right in your area. You are lucky in deed. He has many unusual breed of goldfish, and that he has reintroduced. He's an important asset to the goldfish world. If you can visit him, do try to do so.

Reaction score
simply stunning, im speechless, one question for ya, are u going to put something over the two spill holes to the sides of the waterfall. Like a Lions mouth or something else over those

Reaction score
Good question stouty. As you can see right now, I simply flanked the spill holes with 4 small pieces of slate tile to form a diamond design. I had to do this because I could not find a suitable spitter estucheon. Unfortunately, most of the ones I see online or in stores have a hole that is very tiny (to accomodate 1/2" pipe or even smaller). My pipe is 2" to be able to accomodate the large water flow.

I'm trying to find an artist that could perhaps make something for me like in the shape of a koi/fish head. DoDad says there's someone in Florida that does this sorta thing. And I'm looking at some local folks here, too, as a possibility. This will likely take some time to sort out, but yes, I'm looking for something that will fit the bill.

Reaction score
That"s Cool. I remember seeing a pond photo with koi heads on this site with a wall of slate just like u have and it looked sweet. Wish ya the best for finding something.

Reaction score
Very nice Koikeepr. Makes me want to build a liner pond really bad but, I got to finish my mud pond first. I like the formal look. I get so jealous seeing all these crystal clear ponds.

Reaction score
koikeepr said:
Good question stouty. As you can see right now, I simply flanked the spill holes with 4 small pieces of slate tile to form a diamond design. I had to do this because I could not find a suitable spitter estucheon. Unfortunately, most of the ones I see online or in stores have a hole that is very tiny (to accomodate 1/2" pipe or even smaller). My pipe is 2" to be able to accomodate the large water flow.

I'm trying to find an artist that could perhaps make something for me like in the shape of a koi/fish head. DoDad says there's someone in Florida that does this sorta thing. And I'm looking at some local folks here, too, as a possibility. This will likely take some time to sort out, but yes, I'm looking for something that will fit the bill.

Have you tried that place in Rock Hill ( I think it is ). It's in SC just off of I-77. It's not to far down, I'd say about 30minutes from us.

Reaction score
Well, most of you have followed my 5,000g pond build thread. Since I've tested the water three times now and show perfect water parameters, I've continued to move all the fish over.

The first three sarassas did great over the last few days, as did the watonai did great too, yesterday.

Today, I moved Big Alice, whom I mentioned to y'all yesterday. It's funny seeing these fish 5 feet down in an underground pond and then holding 'em in your hands. It's been a while since I've handled these guys and I couldn't believe how big some of them really were. When you're looking at a fish in a pond top down, you don't really see the girth on these creatures.

Here's my Sanke, Big Alice. She's now 15" and has 'shoulders' like a line backer (which you can't really see in these photos). Excuse the messy water as I was stomping around in the pond for 45 minutes chasing these guys and was draining out all the water at the same time. I've had her three summers now, and got her when she was just a wee lass.

CIMG2784.jpg

Next was Goldie Hawn. Her name is appropriate once you meet her. She is a heavenly deep golden color and a goofball. She's 13", and this is her second summer with me. Anyone that visits the pond is immediately infatuated with her color.

CIMG2782.jpg

Last is my Showa at around 9". He's got a tiny white gash on the top of his head from crashing into a stone rim during spawning. Naughty boy! He's got a brother in the pond that is not quite as showy as he is (and a bit smaller). That's why I call this one Elton (John) and the smaller brother, Bernie (Taupin). The little Hi Utsuri was a $10 grab from the Lotus Land koi farm last year during the Fall Harvest. His sumi (black color) is not yet developed, and he's looking a little wishy-washy. I named him Mickey Rooney, since he's a bit of a shrimp at only 4". He was just a tiny baby when I got him. I've never purchased a fish this small, so it's a bit of an experiment to see what happens with him/her. Hopefully he'll pack on a few inches this summer.

CIMG2787.jpg

Did a small water change today, and that went well. Also, tested the pond in case of a power outage and shut all the electrical off. Everything worked as expected. Filter drained out the outlets, sieve stayed at pond level. All good.

Had a friend come and take all the comet goldfish that I inherited with the pond when I bought the house 5 years ago. She took 3 large koi as well. Tomorrow, I will cut the liner off the lower pond and hopefully begin throwing dirt back in. A Japanese Maple is going in this area, and I'm hoping for a small water feature/fountain, too.

Ask a Question