My 5,000 Gal Pond Build In Photos

Reaction score
LOL! Yes, my husband says that the fish will think that they've moved to the Taj Mahal compared to their current digs. The old pond has served me well, and there are days where I think I should keep it going as a nursery or a QT tank. But with the liner in such a state after 20 years (and it appears it was never very good liner to begin with), it would just be a pain to keep after. And honestly, I just don't have the time to dedicate to two separate systems.

The old pond shall be retired in a few more weeks.

Reaction score
yes it is if you suck the nectar from the flowers or chew the leaves. The plan is about three feet away from the pond and I plant to keep it below pond height. Just enough to disguise the skimmer, so I have no worries about anything getting into the pond. I also plan on nipping the flower buds before they form. I have several massive bushes of them on the property and they do well in my area with little care.

Reaction score
Out of sheer curiosity I decided to test the new pond since Squidhead and I were yapping about water parameters. I have well water here with perfect pond water conditions. I never have to dechlor, etc. Of course, the water has only been in the pond for two days, but it has very similar water parameters as my established pond:

Nitrate: 0
Nitrite: 0
Ph: 7.2
KH: 120
GH: 100

I'll be curious to see what happens next week when I retest.

Reaction score
wow. your pond looks like it belongs at the bellagio in las vegas. really classy, great job!

icon14.gif

Reaction score
While it is common among us to always look for our next pond project and improvement, I hope you can stop and take this accomplishment in. Magnificant! Brava

Reaction score
It's a great point Big Red. I don't think I will ever want to go through something like this again, and I made the pond as big as I could go so that I would never be tempted to say I wanted something bigger.

Needless to say, I can't possibly move from this house now. And I am done with pond projects/improvements for a long while. I just wanted to be able to sit at the pond edge with my glass of wine and enjoy.

Reaction score
I'm overwhelmed koikeepr! As I follow along your thread and your project, I capture your technical stature but also so much your artistry. You're not only creating a solid, sustainable feature but you're creating it from your artistic imagination. Many are one or the other but your new pond is both, a reflection of you. Good to know you.

The 'headboard' of your pond has the accesnding shelves to the summit. Frankly, I'm a bit overcome with wonder. What will........? I love the fairy statue and BTW my 3 new little 'water fairy's' are as happy as can be.

Reaction score
Thank you both. Since I was not able to build a more natural looking pond in this particular area (such as my old pond), I knew that if I had to build a formal and partially above ground pond that I wanted it to have natural materials--hence the slate. There were financial reasons, as each tile was only $1.50, but I just loved the personality of each piece of slate. Each seemed to tell it's own story, and I felt that it was timeless and classic.

I look forward to watching the pond builds that others have going on here now, and live vicariously though them. All I know is that my back can't take another dig. LOL!

Reaction score
Got fish in the 5k pond now

My god, I guess I do not have an inch of restraint!

I tested the water again today, and the parameters were still perfect. I also noticed more clarity deeper down. All good signs. Knock on wood. Tap! Tap!

So, I broke down my upper pond today (very weird to do), and had to take the 6 goldfish that were residing in it (3 sarassa's and 3 watonai). I threw the watonai overboard into the lower pond to wait until next week, and I decided to put the sarassa's in my new pond.

Here they are in a small bucket--all I had. They look tiny, but the biggest one laying sideways is as big as my entire hand. Excuse the blurry photo (I forgot to set the macro setting and I was too close, but you get the picture). He's the the one furthest down in this photo:

CIMG2779.jpg

Top one in this photo:

CIMG2780.jpg

Anyhoo, I acclimated them and let them go. I think they were in shock. They stuck mostly together and to the corners for the first few hours. I can't imagine what they're thinking. Theny they started swimming about the pond and under the spitters. They had these looks on like, what-the-hell-has-happened-here-have-we-landed-on-Mars?

But now I know why DoDad says he won't buy anything below 14"--in a large pond these little guys (and they ain't that little), look like specks.

I'm already talking to Tarheel Koi Farm to have them send me a bunch of fish. It's gonna take a lot of fishies to fill this thing.

If the sarassa do well this week, I will introduce a few of the koi later in the next week. I can't wait to put Big Alice in. She's my biggest fish and I think will have a blast in the new pond. I named her for the 3 hulking smoke stacks in NYC (together referred to as Big Alice), as my dad was a pipefitter that worked at the site when the stacks required work. But as you can see, sarrassa do look like kohaku koi to the uninitiated. So those of you who can't have koi due to smaller ponds, should take a look at sarassa as an option.

Reaction score
Re: Got fish in the 5k pond now

koikeepr said:
My god, I guess I do not have an inch of restraint!

I tested the water again today, and the parameters were still perfect. I also noticed more clarity deeper down. All good signs. Knock on wood. Tap! Tap!

So, I broke down my upper pond today (very weird to do), and had to take the 6 goldfish that were residing in it (3 sarassa's and 3 watonai). I threw the watonai overboard into the lower pond to wait until next week, and I decided to put the sarassa's in my new pond.

QUOTE]

To show my ignorance with Koi and the whole carp family, under all your posts where it has the current garden pond description:confused: - I thought that watonai was some kind of bog plant and sarassas was sassafrass:surprised:

Reaction score
LOL! LOL! ROFL!

Sarassa are a goldfish variety. Often referred to as "poor man's koi" since they look somewhat like kohaku (red and white spotted) koi. They are fun and lively and very hardy. Petsmart sells 'em for just a few bucks. Very worthwhile in a pond as they have great color.

Watonai are another story. There are very few of us in the US that have watonai--they are a very old Japanese goldfish breed (with fancy fins) that has recently been reintroduced in America. They are a cross between ryunkin and wakin goldfish. In Japan, they are considered to be very common--like a comet is here. They are truly spectacular, and I got my 5 fish from Steve at Raingarden in Hawaii last spring. I am hoping to breed them someday, so that I can spread the wealth of these gorgeous and hardy fish. I spent a bit of change on them last year.

Here's a few of my wantonai as an example. They are much bigger now. They grow to be 16-18" believe it or not. These guys are roughly 7-8" at this point.

3796c.jpg

3798e.jpg

Ask a Question