My almost complete pond

FountainMan

Dihydrogen Monoxide-scaping.
Reaction score
Thanks pal, yes plants, well I want to get the sod in first. Big job. OK yellow iris it is.

Oh yes the many night shots are for fountainman, he wanted lots lol.
I love it. You have won me over. Now I'm anxious to get started on my pond. I love the Easter island. That fountain looks awesome. Awesome job!

Any ideas on plants? Like water lilies?

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Thanks, your opinion means lots to me, just don't know why lol.

Yes plants and shrubs etc. Have not researched that at all. Maybe I have time before winter, not sure. I guess now is a great time to buy the left overs at discount lol.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Few other things: The cords and wires will be covered, just no chance yet. Grass is going in next and then some plants and trees.

I know some will not like all the rocks, but for me it works. A cleanout every 2 years is no big deal for me. As you can see there is no layer of scum or debris anywhere, not even at 4 ft down. Water would be clearer, but had the waterfall shut down and started up many different times this year to adjust the waterfall stones. This has disrupted the good bio production that keeps the algae down.

As time goes on [years] I will be adding more in pond rocks, outside rocks, tress, shrubs and flowers. That's the fun part about these ponds, never really complete lol.

I am considering mortaring part of the side wall rocks to keep them in place and then reducing the size of bottom rocks to gravel size. This way I might not have to do a total pond drain every 2 years. Just vaccum up the gravel layer.

FountainMan

Reaction score
Few other things: The cords and wires will be covered, just no chance yet. Grass is going in next and then some plants and trees.

I know some will not like all the rocks, but for me it works. A cleanout every 2 years is no big deal for me. As you can see there is no layer of scum or debris anywhere, not even at 4 ft down. Water would be clearer, but had the waterfall shut down and started up many different times this year to adjust the waterfall stones. This has disrupted the good bio production that keeps the algae down.

As time goes on [years] I will be adding more in pond rocks, outside rocks. That's the fun part about these ponds, never really complete lol.

I am considering mortaring part of the side wall rocks to keep them in place and then reducing the size of bottom rocks to gravel size. This way I might not have to do a total pond drain every 2 years. Just vaccum up the gravel layer.
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/topic/9935-sensitive-plant/page__st__30
This is one plant I find fascinating. Leaves close when touched. It's also a Nitrogen fixing plant so it's good for the pond. They are tropical so you may have to wait untill spring. Parrots Feather is also a nice pond plant.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Your pond is gorgeous Wayne and the colored lights made me feel like I was in Vegas :D

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
To hear that from a forum veteran means a lot to me, thanks.

Based on light opinions I will keep all lights as is, thanks again all.

When I have time I will start a showcase thread with pics starting from 2010.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Some more notes:

The LED colored fountain is out of place when everything else is white and yellow, but I don't care. I just like it. I'm not sending photos in to win any prizes lol.

I have another LED colored light that I put in pond 2ft down and the colors are really crappy looking. So didn't bother with pics.

So many lighting designs to go with. I chose the dark and mysterious look like member fountainman has done. Some people light up the whole yard, gazebo, pond etc, not my thing. I might add more in pond lights later, not sure.

The waterfall is only 80% to how I want it, but no more time this year. I'll adjust next year. I would have went with bigger stones to build the water fall edges, but at 49 my back can't take the heavy lifting anymore lol. All the big stones where put in with a mini backhoe.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Where you hiding mucky?? You wanted pics!

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I think the waterfall lights are really bright! I LOVE the floating LED light fountain. It floats? Looked like it was attached to a milk crate, but maybe that anchors it in place, instead of letting it float around. Where did you get it? I must have one!!! LOL
To me, lights should be soft, to accent, not too bright, so I like the outside lights just fine, love the contrast with the pond lights. You've done a great job. BTW, are your outside lights solar or electric? I'm a solar light junkie, have about 20 so far, pick them up only when on sale. Bought 2 brighter outside lights for the front of my house by sidewalk, solar, but 3 LED's each. Otherwise, my solar lights are warmer, not as bright, just "pretty". Thanks for sharing the photos! Never can see too much of outside and in water lights!

Well it's been over a week only and the LED fountain pump is half plugged. Very poor design with pump housing. Very small inlet holes. I'll be taking my drill to it soon!!

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Wayne, enough research, just plant the silly thing in the ground and you'll have something exciting in the spring. Now is a good time to plant spring bulbs for color at Easter. If you decide that you don't like that plant there, just move it later in the year. I am constantly changing and moving things around, and sometimes the best research is the "hands on kind". I have plants that I did do careful research for sun and soil and location, and then they either clashed with the other stuff as it grew or failed in that location, and then moved the plant just any old where, and then it just looked great!

Now is the time to plant spring bulbs around the pond to hide "Easter eggs in"! Would love to see some color and lush green around your beautiful pond next spring! :) :) :)

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
OK, I have sod 25% in. Soon very soon.

LEd fountain pump is ok, solved problem.

FountainMan

Reaction score
So I have another question. It's nearing fall when ducks and other water fowl migrate. Your pond looks large enough for ducks. Do you ever see them?

And an idea if your intrested. placing a small decorative bridge to Easter Island. Not for walking but for looks.

Actually I love your pond the way it is.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
In fall the ducks & geese are pretty determined to head south. But in spring time last year I had 1 goose and 2 ducks visit the pond. Managed a shot of the goose. Stayed long enough to poop on my liner lol.

Yes a bridge to the island, maybe. I kind of like it how it is for now.

Sod at 45%. I'm also doing the final grade of top soil as to why it's taking so long.

Attachments

• IMG_0439.JPG
    IMG_0439.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 226

FountainMan

Reaction score
Do any of them try to sit on the fountain? I remember a few years back I was at a park and they had one of those larger floating fountains. It was in the morning when everything was shut off. There were several ducks standing on the fountain. Next thing I knew the fountain pops on and the duck get shot right in the rear. Hoping my pond next year will be large enough. I'd love to fill this happening. Pretty funny.

Ask a Question