My Banzai Backyard (pond)

Reaction score
First of all GREAT site!! I'm sure that I'll forget some things as I post this so I'll try and update.

As a kid my best friends dad built a pond in his backyard and since that time I've always wanted to do my own. Well, 30 years later my time has come! ha I'm currently living in Japan (Marines) and purchased a house a couple months ago. At the time of the purchase there was nothing in the backyard. Before they were about to lay the sod down, I told them to stop, I have an idea. ;) I hired a company here that landscapes the nearest tourists attraction (Shuri Castle). I tried to take as many pics as possible but missed a few due to a business trip for a couple weeks. This whole construction process took about a month and a half and was finally finished last month.

Now that it's complete, I've been reading these forums religiously trying to get as much info as possible from others who may have the same questions. Hopefully I'll be able to answer yours if needed.

Here's a couple questions of my own that I need to get answers on from the company who constructed it.
- What type of pump is being used? (I was out of town)
- I need to figure out the size of this pond (gallons)
- What do I need to have koi in this pond? (chemicals, etc.)

Please feel free to ask for more pics if needed/wanted. I have hundreds! ha

I'll post more pics in follow on reply of filter system, etc.

Beginning

IMG_0072.jpg

Final

IMG_0978.jpg

IMG_0979.jpg

Reaction score
VIDEO FROM TODAY. Don't mind the hose. haha Just had to put some water in. ;)

[ame=[URL]http://s217.photobucket.com/albums/cc102/malachiman/Banzai%20Backyard/?action=view&current=IMG_0981.flv[/URL]]
th_IMG_0981.jpg
[/ame]

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Oh la la your neighbors are prolly all drooling and wanting to do the same thing now eh? I sure would be :regular_waving_emot

Reaction score
koikeepr said:
Spectacular! Are all the huge boulders real or are they cast concrete?

What a marvel!

Thanks so much guys! Yes, these are actual boulders. I had no idea that were going to bring in as much as they did. Not complaining. :regular_waving_emot

IMG_0183.jpg

IMG_0193.jpg

IMG_0206.jpg

Ask a Question