My DIY pond start to finish

Reaction score
well, it seemed like a good idea to reserve the spots, but apparently this forum takes away your ability to edit after just a few minutes... so now its just a ridiculous waste of space... did the photo near the bottom of page 1 not show for anyone? It shows for me.

Reaction score
allen00se said:
well, it seemed like a good idea to reserve the spots, but apparently this forum takes away your ability to edit after just a few minutes... so now its just a ridiculous waste of space... did the photo near the bottom of page 1 not show for anyone? It shows for me.

i dont see anything

Reaction score
Ok here is the next go round with pics
18b4862f.jpg

6d1a6d97.jpg

There they are, I have more but I want to make sure you guys can actually see them before I post more.

Reaction score
e7463280.jpg

Latest pic, I ran into a gutter drain line I put in when the house was built, you can see it near the bottom of the pic. Once I get that moved I can finish digging.

Reaction score
That window that you see is to our Dining room, so viewing from both inside and out was one of my main goals. It is also something that I am going to consider when I place my waterfall. I should have plenty of time this weekend to move that drain pipe, finish digging and level the top edge. Once all of that is done I will most likely place the order for my liner.

Reaction score
well, I got my drain line moved this weekend, and finished the bulk of the excavation. I decided that I will need a 20'x30' liner which I need to order ASAP, and now I am trying to decide on a pump. Problem is that I dont really know what size pump I need to get the waterfall action that I desire. In my head my waterfall will be just a foot or more off of the surface of the water, and it will have multiple outlets through the retainer wall to try and get the more natural looking spring effect as opposed to the sheet of water type fall.
I would usually just go overboard on the size of the pump and dial it back as needed, but with some of these pumps consuming 500-1000 watts that would just be dumb. Here is one I found that it cheap and uses less that 500watts
http://www.bestnest.com/bestnest/RTProduct.asp?SKU=CAP-T4000

anyone have any feedback on the model or brand?

Reaction score
I think I answered my own question when I found this site with a waterfall formula.
http://www.wholesalepumps.com/SizeWaterfallPump.cfm

I estimate my total gallons at approx 2500 gallons, (8' wide x 20' long x 2ft deep) averages of course. The pump listed in the post above will do 3600gph at 5' of head. If my waterfall is about 2' of head and i take into account a few elbows and the tee's for multiple streams I think this pump should be about perfect. I think I will be able to run 3 seperate waterfalls at approx 1ft wide a piece with 1/2" to 3/4" water thickness and give me the option to dial it back if I have to, I might also look for one just a little bit smaller if I can decrease the watts significantly.

Reaction score
Just placed my order for the liner with Bestnest.com I havent ordered the pump yet, I want to research the brand some more first and see if I cant find a more efficient one even if the upfront cost is a little higher.

Ask a Question