My first swordtail baby!

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Yup. I saw the baby newborn again. It's Mom was trying to eat her. And then she swam away. I'm thinking about putting some barriers with bars in there so the babies will be safe.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I have a guppy female that is soooo fat, I have no idea how she has not yet had her babies. I'm sure they will all get eaten, but if any survive they sure will be tough. Actually, if I didn't have the large angle, or killifish or rose red barb, I think the babies might survive!

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I have a big fat pregnant guppy female too. I think she just releases a few babies at a time.

Good idea, I will name her jw!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You says it as you sees it John. Fish just wanna have fun, Oh fish they wanna have fun................that's all they really waaaaaaaaaaaaaaant..................

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
OK, this is what's happening in my small tank.

1) I saw 2 tiny baby fishes. I took some pics which I will try and upload but I doubt if they were in the pic since they were too small to be in focus. Not sure what they are, since they are only fry at the moment and no colors.

2) All shrimps have disappeared. Have no idea what happened. Probably a mistake to buy the tiger shrimp and it may have killed the amana shrimp and then died from injuries.

3) One of the female swordtails is suddenly afraid of people. When I come, it dashes madly about the tank at 60 mph, then hides in the back behind something. What the heck behavior is that? Is it giving birth time or something?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How neat! you are a fishy dad!

Big_eyed.gif

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
OK, so we did a water change today and found that we have 3 more swordtail babies! We know they are swordtail babies because they're orange in color.

Looking at my last post, I think I first saw the frys (despite spell check, I'm going to have to believe that frys are spelled frys and not fries like the ones you eat) either on Wednesday (the day I posted) or a couple of days earlier. Today is Sunday. In 4-5 days, the frys have increased just a little in size and have turned into an orange color from the transparent yellow that they were.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Actually, Dr. Sir, etc, etc, etc,... the plural of one fry is two fry. Just as deer does not become deers, fry does not become fries. (Unless you place them in the deep fryer!) :rolleyes:
John (Proffessor of Proper English Useage)

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Actually, Dr. Sir, etc, etc, etc,... the plural of one fry is two fry. Just as deer does not become deers, fry does not become fries. (Unless you place them in the deep fryer!) :rolleyes:
John (Proffessor of Proper English Useage)
HARO, I'm going to give you a giant thumbs up for this (no pun intended). I'm usually a real stickler for spelling but that was something that I completely missed! Thanks!

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I had a much closer look at the fry today. They are all orange and are therefore all swordtails.

2 of the fry are bigger and 1 is smaller. They are much less shy than Haro since a couple of them don't mind swimming right up to the front at all, unlike Haro who was shy for a long time.

And they're not afraid to munch on the food right in front of my face. I will have to feed more often since fry are supposed to be fed 4-5x a day. I just hope they won't starve to death, which is one of my fears since the big fish pretty much try to gobble everything up. It's actually pretty neat to watch the fry try and eat food that is bigger than them. Even the tiniest guy chomps away at the flakes.

Haro by now is one of the crowd and is not afraid to go up to the surface to fight for flakes with the big fish.

Regarding the others, we never saw the Micro Thai Crab after the first day and we haven't seen the 2 shrimp ever since we released the Tiger shrimp into the tank. I think the Tiger shrimp killed the Amana shrimp. Never again will I put two different shrimps together!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Haro is not afraid anymore cuz he's part of a gang now.............watch out John those gang's can be dangerous

Ask a Question