My mini-pond pics and stories

Reaction score
Also another thing I'm going to try to find is something that would work as planters for the side of the fall; some kind of plastic container I can enclose in the rocks, where a drain could be added to the bottom. Seems like ideal would almost just be a funnel, however it would need to be flat on one side to mount next to the wood frame. Anyone aware of such a thing?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They make planters that go on walls, sort of like sconces for lights.

Reaction score
Yeah hopefully I can find one - they didn't have one at home depot, though I haven't checked a couple of local nurseries yet. I know I've seen them as well. Worst case I may make something out of wood and line it with plastic.

See pic below - I'm making progress. Hopefully I can finish before the gourd plant gets me. (That's the same single plant moving down the rail of the upper deck - off-picture on the left it's also practically covering the bush and trying to flow out into the yard) I've set up a signal with my wife - if she hears a "GAAAAK!!" followed by three taps of the trowel, she knows to call 911 and come running, but not get too close.

Planning to put plants in the un-rocked gap on the right side and the un-rocked step area on the left, as well as something tall in behind (not sure what yet). Got a new dowel rod for the water wheel, and it spins much smoother now - can't wait to get it in for good.

Attachments

• PICT8642.jpg
    PICT8642.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 381

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is going to look so neat, keep it up!

Reaction score
More work. Here I'm starting on the upper runway. I've been using 4" PVC as a base, to help prevent water seepage. The first pic is the loose pieces after being cut (via bandsaw), and the second is after being mortared into place - the view from above. Making it a bit "meandering". This is the really fun part - really looking forward to the next few weekends' work, culminating in getting the water wheel going.

Attachments

• PICT8643.jpg
    PICT8643.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 309
  • PICT8658.jpg
    PICT8658.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 348

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You are so creative, neat ideas and looking good

Reaction score
addy1 said:
They make planters that go on walls, sort of like sconces for lights.

So after looking and looking, both online and in brick-and-mortar stores, I can't really find much. Got any thoughts/sites in particular?

I think I can make do OK though. Most of the plants are on horizontal areas. For a couple vertical I'll do wooden boxes with pond liner plastic, and try to attach some drain pipe to the bottom or something.

Thanks.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
WolfStock said:
So after looking and looking, both online and in brick-and-mortar stores, I can't really find much. Got any thoughts/sites in particular?

I think I can make do OK though. Most of the plants are on horizontal areas. For a couple vertical I'll do wooden boxes with pond liner plastic, and try to attach some drain pipe to the bottom or something.

Thanks.

If you can find old barn wood, it does a beautiful job and looks great. I use fence cedar to make bird houses and planters, I like the rough look.

Here are some on ebay, I only shop with those that have great ratings, have not yet gotten burnt.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...ff0e3de&itemid=110581808942&ff4=263602_263622

http://shop.ebay.com/sis.html?_nkw=Tuscan+Old+World+Iron+Wall+Urn+Pocket+Planter+Sconce+4

Good luck!

Reaction score
Thanks for the links. A bit... flowery... for my taste on that first one. :smile:

I think I will go with a more rustic look, with something made of wood. Actually I was mostly thinking of something that would go under the rock and not be exposed. For that matter I might even just make basins out of rock/concrete and seal them up with sealant and liner as best as possible.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
WolfStock said:
Thanks for the links. A bit... flowery... for my taste on that first one. :smile:

I think I will go with a more rustic look, with something made of wood. Actually I was mostly thinking of something that would go under the rock and not be exposed. For that matter I might even just make basins out of rock/concrete and seal them up with sealant and liner as best as possible.

Well from what you have shown with your creativity, I am sure they will look wonderful when you are done.

Reaction score
Great looking project Wolf, I like the wheel! You may find that now that you have a straight dowel / axle that it will spin too quickly, which isn't necessarily a problem, but I found with mine that limiting the speed saved a lot of water loss due to centrifugal force flinging water off of the wheel beyond the reservoir / stream. No doubt you'll find a happy medium, all part of the fun...
Looking great, keep us updated.
Thx, James

Reaction score
Couple of updates - the upper run is pretty much done. It's looking good though I'm not sure if it'll be sufficient to hold the water - may need to add some rocks. When I ran it overnight I lost a lot of water (can see some being lost already in the second pic), apparently some to overspill and some to leakage. However this was before I sealed the mortar; hopefully that'll help.

After testing the water wheel some more, I think I am going to have to add some back-facing paddles, in order to collect more water in each bin and to minimize splashing. No big deal though shouldn't be too much work.

The pics aren't the best, since they were taken at twilight. Should have some more after this weekend.

Attachments

• PICT8700.jpg
    PICT8700.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 375
  • PICT8701.jpg
    PICT8701.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 366
Reaction score
I'd think about lining your streams with pond liner - otherwise with seasonal expansion and cracking I think you're always going to have issues with leaks. It wouldn't take a lot...

It's a beautiful project!

Reaction score
WolfStock said:
Also another thing I'm going to try to find is something that would work as planters for the side of the fall; some kind of plastic container I can enclose in the rocks, where a drain could be added to the bottom. Seems like ideal would almost just be a funnel, however it would need to be flat on one side to mount next to the wood frame. Anyone aware of such a thing?

Google "hypertufa planters." You will find lots of information on how to make custom planters in any shape you want. To fit into a place between the rocks, you could line the space with plastic, then press the hypertufa mixture onto the plastic with a dowel stuck in where you want a drainage hole. When the hypertufa is set, you pull the whole thing out and you have a custom planter.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looking good there! Wolfstock, find each place it leaked and seal with one of the tube sealants that peeps talk about. Per your picture it looks like it went between some rocks. Love the look of it. You could use liner, but it would be hard to hide imho.

Ask a Question