My pond runs all winter, zone 2/3

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
yes, they really are very friendly. Koi are more friendly than goldfish I have discovered over the years. The koi also have lots of "personality" and they also have make "strange" to strange people too! The biggest Oldest "Orange" KOI she will slap her tail loud and splash lots of water as well, as she swims away very fast from strangers too!

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I'm back on this thread now that winter is coming. Feel free to ask me any questions. I have been wintering my fish outside successfully since 1991, here in ice cold Canada.

Might make little greenhouse frame for top two ponds this winter, as I think this winter will be long and cold . we shall see...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
I can't believe we're thinking about winter already.... but yes, it's that time.

I bought a pond net over the weekend and I want to get that installed in the next couple of weeks before leaves start blowing into the pond. The one I used last year was just slightly too small and it was a struggle trying to pin it to the ground securely. I also have two new de-icers out of the box and ready to be plopped into the water when needed... and that's about all the winter prep I do.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I will have all shut down as of the end of October, since itchy foot hubby is making noises of heading to Florida asap i.e. November.
Yank the exterior pump, put in the pond breather, done.
@addy1 , enjoy your winter....just think...no work on Arizona house, in prep to sell :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol now we are thinking of getting rid of two rentals in Florida. Both renters are problematic, one a gambler, one a single mom that thinks we should wait forever for the rent. Which is lower than everybody else is paying in the condos. Both leases up as of 11/1. At least only 1100 miles from here rather than 2400 miles!

I want to have no rentals, get back to a calmer life, even though they are not that big of a issue, so far. The main issue is slow pays.

So we will still be busy! but a lot smaller places, a lot less work.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Going to get close to freezing tonight here. Leaves are slowly turning yellow and some have fallen in ponds already. Have to get my nets back up this week.

Little guppy pond has a fish tank heater in there right now and I will cover with plastic dome tonight. Now that the heater is keeping that little pond warm, the tropical plants are still green. Will have to get video...
Have to work a horrible long shift tonight, counting everything in the freezer...

Last edited:

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Was a horrible long night. Had the flu and still feel under the weather. Supposed to work tonight till 10pm. Just a short shift ... Why can't I just call in sick like everybody else? Bakery needs me and new manager quitting yet again. Too stressful of a job so nobody wants to be manager cause it's too hard with long days and not enough pay...

Ask a Question