ZmanArt007

Fish Keeper and Filmmaker
Reaction score
Sometimes Los Angeles, Sometimes Nebraska
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
That's a really cute story. I had my 7 year old cousin staying with me for a week when I brought the fish outside this year, and let him help me catch them in the indoor tank to take them outside. For the rest of the week he kept asking me if he could catch them in the pond. :confused: My fish are skittish anyway, I don't need them terrorized by a seven-year-old!

Where did you get your watonai?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Lol my son loves to help and I let him catch guppies in the pond but not the big fish, but he always want to catch the pretty fish (the big ones) :)

I got them though ebay (Koy to the world)

That's a really cute story. I had my 7 year old cousin staying with me for a week when I brought the fish outside this year, and let him help me catch them in the indoor tank to take them outside. For the rest of the week he kept asking me if he could catch them in the pond. :confused: My fish are skittish anyway, I don't need them terrorized by a seven-year-old!

Where did you get your watonai?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Nepen, as to the kiddos, you gotta love 'em but keep an eye on 'em even when they're old enough to [supposedly] know better -- like, oh 18-19 year old range, LOL!

A few weeks ago, my son [will be 19 on Saturday] was doing some work outside [cleaning the gutters], and stirred up some wasps. The wasps weren't going after him at all, but they scared him so he reacted by running to the edge of the patio and spraying [probably] an entire can of wasp spray at them........from across the patio.

He told me about it a little later and I nearly had a heart attack! No, Son was OK, but where he sprayed.....my nursery tank full of baby goldfish was smack in the middle of his line of fire!

The fish all seemed fine, but I did an immediate water change and washed off everything I could close to or touching the tank.

We later had a talk about the "responsible use of harmful chemicals," as his reaction was overkill [no pun intended]. And in his defense, I don't think he pays any attention to my fish hobby and I don't think he'd even paid attention to the fact that the 50 gal. tote sitting on the edge of the patio, with the pump & filter & air stones & tubings & plants & netting, propped up on cinder blocks, in an area draped with a giant sun shade........contained fish. I love my sweet, clueless son! :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
TM, Glad your fish are okay :)

Don't think it's just kids that are clueless. I'm always *reminding* my hubby to be careful around my aquariums, pond or even my birds :rolleyes: Sometimes I wonder if it's just a "man thing" lol

No offence to any men on the forum ;)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
TM, Glad your fish are okay :)

Don't think it's just kids that are clueless. I'm always *reminding* my hubby to be careful around my aquariums, pond or even my birds :rolleyes: Sometimes I wonder if it's just a "man thing" lol

No offence to any men on the forum ;)

LOL, yeah we don't need to start anything, do we.....? [but I agree, tee, hee....oh, how many times I've explained things, only to get this reply: "You never told me that!"]

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
lol TM, you mean it's a never ending battle? ;) Thanks for the warning lol. I'm glad your fish are fine.

I think it's hard to balance the 'independence' and 'being a helicopter mom' type. I tried to keep an eye on him on him but not always but at least be in the same vicinity and keep a look every so often.

I found the best way to keep an eye on him is to get him to like to do the same thing I do and loves the same thing I love. which is getting there, but he might change when he grow up to be teen lol.

The fish was in a 30 gallon so they were easy target so didn't take him a minute to catch all of them. I just finished doing water change so I didnt get the cover back on yet (was taking the water to water my tomato plants). Lesson learned that things can happen faster than you (I) expected!

And not going to start on my husband :LOL:

Ask a Question