Native Gardening

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by JBtheExplorer, May 17, 2016.

1. JBtheExplorer

KC Crook

I love deep shade plants. For close to 25 years, those have been my only options on most properties Ive lived on. Most do require moisture tho. The dry ones are more difficult to pin down. If you need any help with deepshade plants, let me know.

KC Crook, May 21, 2016
    Tula likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. JBtheExplorer

KC Crook

They impress me as tropical, wet, and somewhat shady. I confess I havent looked much into them.

KC Crook, May 21, 2016
    1. Advertisements

3. JBtheExplorer

JBtheExplorer Native Gardener

That's good, because they're invasive here in the US.

Milkweeds are typically resistant to mammals due to the poison. As for the rest, I wouldn't know. The plants native to California are unfamiliar to me. We have deer here, too. I live next to a wooded park. They rarely wander into the yard but have never caused an issue. Rabbits are the big pest here.

JBtheExplorer, May 21, 2016
  4. JBtheExplorer

KC Crook

We have rabbits, but they are shy. As for butterfly bushes, they are not an issue here. Some here hate Quaking Aspen, they are invasive...or my personal hatred, Siberian Elm. I suppose its about where you are.

KC Crook, May 21, 2016
  5. JBtheExplorer

KC Crook

Milkweed? Isnt that a monarch butterfly favorite? I just assumed because its not prolific here, the deer eat it...but if it can be grown, Im more then happy to try.

KC Crook, May 21, 2016
  6. JBtheExplorer

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

hang Irish spring, the soap bar, they don't like it.

addy1, May 22, 2016
  7. JBtheExplorer

Stephen T.

Narrow Leaf Milkweed, Asclepias fascicularis, is native to our area, north of Klamath Falls and less than 100 miles from Weed. The U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service is giving out packets of seeds that are donated by the Southern Oregon Monarch Advocates. We just started some of them.

Stephen T., May 22, 2016
    Nepen likes this.
  8. JBtheExplorer

KC Crook

Tried it, the deer dont care here, lol. Over the 30 or so years our neighborhood has been in existance, the deer have learned all the tricks and pass it on to their young. I have tried human hair, dog hair, sprays, fishing line, dog urine, just about anything short of electric fence and it doesnt matter. Now its just a pure ugly deer fence. Oh well, the price we pay for living in our paradise. The biggest deterrent for not having deer is not feeding them.

KC Crook, May 23, 2016
  9. JBtheExplorer

i ended up putting that black deer fencing up. Not real tall, but our deer are usually lazy, 5 feet tall stops them. They walk down the fence line until they can walk through the gate. I had electric fence, but that was a pita, snow tall grass wires breaking, so gave up on it. This is just for my bee yards. The deer love the flowers the bees love. I try to save a few for the bees, lol

addy1, May 23, 2016
    KC Crook likes this.
  10. JBtheExplorer

KC Crook

I m considering spray painting my ugly deer fence to blend it into the yard. Same here for the deer, 5 ft works...IF they have no safe landing. In a large yard with a clear landing on the other side, they would jump it for morsels. I have filled my yard with rocks, logs, and paths that confuse and scare them. Alot of people do that here since there is an HOA limit on fencing, but none on width, so breaking up their landing with rocks, logs, ect..seems to work fairly well.

KC Crook, May 23, 2016
  11. JBtheExplorer

I have a 80 dia circle, maybe more, it took 200 feet of fencing to fence it. They have good landing room in the circle but don't bother it. That circle is on the slope, maybe they don't like to jump fences on slopes. My other bee areas are along the back fence line around 20 feet wide, that seems to stop them, from what I read they don't really see the deer fencing so they can't figure out how to go over it.
    The other areas are not fenced, that is mainly golden rod for fall nectar.

addy1, May 23, 2016
  12. JBtheExplorer

KC Crook

Nice! I feel our natural state has been unbalanced. Originally, our neighborhood was built as "deer friendly". Which meant it was built to allow natural migration paths through the area. Over 30 or so years, thats been interrupted. We have a golf course, and many lawns. So, why should deer move through when green grass is available all year? Not to mention, people thought "deer friendly" also meant deer loving, and started feeding then, which made things a million times worse. Now, I can have a herd of 10 to 12 does roaming my area at any given time.

KC Crook, May 23, 2016
  13. JBtheExplorer

We have a bunch of hunters, no clue if they get a lot or not. The bucks are what hurt my trees. They use all the small saplings to rub their velvet off. I now have to wire net the trunks to save them.
    I don't think anyone feeds them here.

addy1, May 23, 2016
  14. JBtheExplorer

KC Crook

Yep, I have scars on my trees from bucks too, but mostly the young ones come down off the hills in fall, no chance of breeding. It all just seems so topsy turvey. We are cautious of the bucks...we give them their space. They arent the feeders the does are. They are looking for an easy lay, lol. The does know better.

KC Crook, May 24, 2016
  15. JBtheExplorer

KC Crook

I tried to look up if CA here has a doe season, since we are not hunters, and it was so confused about sections and areas and everything so unclear, I suppose I will have to ask my hubby to ask a deer hunter directly about it, cuz Im trully not sure.

KC Crook, May 24, 2016
  16. JBtheExplorer

We hear the hunters shooting, mainly the shotguns, no zones here just need a tag.

addy1, May 24, 2016
  17. JBtheExplorer

peter hillman Let me think for minute....

005.JPG
    Columbine, my favorite flower, the wild red one I sourced from the mountains was by far my favorite. Had two good years then didn't return for a third. Now I just have this domestic patch, mixed with coral bells. 005.JPG

peter hillman, May 28, 2016
  18. JBtheExplorer

I made a good purchase yesterday. I was surprised to see Meadow Blazing Star at a local garden center. You may or may not know, this is the ultimate Monarch Butterfly magnet!

IMG_8672 copy.jpg

Also, Monarch Butterflies are back in Wisconsin! I saw one yesterday and another today.

JBtheExplorer, May 28, 2016
    Nepen likes this.
  19. JBtheExplorer

Finished my newest section of native garden today. Also planted 100 or more seedlings in it, though it'll need a lot more.
    IMG_8833 copy.jpg

Also saw two blooms in my already-established section.
    IMG_8829 copy.jpg
    IMG_8787 copy1.jpg

JBtheExplorer, May 30, 2016
    Nepen, CeeJayH, Becky and 1 other person like this.
  20. JBtheExplorer

My first Lanceleaf Tickseed bloomed today. Bought it last year and have been patiently waiting.
    IMG_9081 copy.jpg

JBtheExplorer, Jun 3, 2016
    Nepen and JBailey like this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question