j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
We don't have any cool looking little creature bugs like that one. My daughter brought home something she called Stickbugs from school where she worked and let them go in her blackberry bushes. Not sure if they can live around here or not. If not oops!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My daughter brought home something she called Stickbugs from school where she worked and let them go in her blackberry bushes. Not sure if they can live around here or not. If not oops!

Those are also awesome insects! I've seen a few of them in my life.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have the stick bugs here, they are so darn neat looking. I usually see over 50 mantis egg casing in the fall and that is without even looking hard for them. I think they like our nature preserve back yard, no pesticides no insecticides sprayed ever.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Just got back from 4 days on the property. Saw lots of lizards... Here are some pics.
DSCN5166.JPG DSCN5201.JPG DSCN5206.JPG DSCN5208.JPG DSCN5215.JPG DSCN5217.JPG DSCN5221.JPG DSCN5233.JPG DSCN5247.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Pretty country and cool lizards. Is that someone's mining tag from now or long ago?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Pretty country and cool lizards. Is that someone's mining tag from now or long ago?

It looks new. We ran across two of them. The area is on the Utah Nevada border and there was a silver/gold mine operation up until the 1900's when the area became a ghost town. But it looks like miners may have stashed coins in the mountain which is what the claims are for. We also ran across a couple old mine shafts.

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Thought I would save a few dollars by buying Pennington Premium Bird Food from HD. The birds turned their beaks up at the filler filled vile food. Went out and scooped out the whole lot then replaced it with our usual Scott's Southwest and Multi-Blend with fruit & nuts. Keeping the trash feed for Mr. Squirrel. He will eat almost anything. Btw, clear axle grease smeared on the feeder pole finally foiled the young lightweight squirrel. :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Thought I would save a few dollars by buying Pennington Premium Bird Food from HD. The birds turned their beaks up at the filler filled vile food. Went out and scooped out the whole lot then replaced it with our usual Scott's Southwest and Multi-Blend with fruit & nuts. Keeping the trash feed for Mr. Squirrel. He will eat almost anything. Btw, clear axle grease smeared on the feeder pole finally foiled the young lightweight squirrel. :ROFLMAO:

In my big feeder, I exclusively feed safflower seed to keep the House Sparrows away. I have a few woodpecker feeders which get a trail mix of nuts, raisins, dried fruit, sunflower and pumpkin seeds, then thistle for the goldfinches. Then there a few handfulls of shelled peanuts scattered on the ground or in the squirrel box to keep them occupied. Dang birds are eating me out of house and home! :sour:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just buy my bird feed at costco or tractor supply store, cheap that way.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
This pair of Tree Swallows seem to be moving into the latest birdhouse I built. I just put it in the yard about two weeks ago and have been waiting to see what would move in. Tree Swallows are one of my favorites.
IMG_6930.jpg

I design my birdhouses so they open for cleaning. In some cases, they need to be cleaned, or wasp nests need to be removed, before birds will move back in.
DSCN4909.jpg

I usually drill drainage holes in the bottom, but I forgot this time. Guess I'll wait until Fall to do it now.

That gives me a total of 8 birdhouses in my yard! All but one of them has birds living in them. I highly suggest you guys make them for your own yard too! They're really easy to make, and birds like Tree Swallows and Blue Birds are relying more and more on these nesting boxes to survive.

Ask a Question