Need Help with Bosses Pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
agreed, but this is at least manageable and what the boss was looking for, i cant believe all the floating clumps of algae would be good for the fish. Most of the floating algae masses are gone and now its just smaller little pieces.

My boss is actually looking to rebuild this pond next year and add another pond indoors so that way algae wont be a problem and can enjoy his most expensive fish.

He is going to go from 7ft deep to around 4ft deep on thsi pond. so should give better view-ability and less stress on the system especially removing some of the bigger fish and moving them into the new 2000 gallon pond indoors.

He is also looking to employ a professional pond builder to make this happen, so I hope all the kinks will get worked out and that both ponds will prosper and be what he wants along with keeping the fish happy and healthy.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
employ a professional pond builder
"Tis' not a real pond from the heart if thou has'th one of these..."
Nate B. 2017
Also ya' need some plants in there man! Lilypads, hornwort for the fish, cmon! lol

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Good job @Seth! And I agree - the clumps of algae are unsightly and aren't necessary in a pond. Clear water is definitely more for our benefit than the fish, but you don't build a pond to look at a mass of floating goop!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
What is being overlooked here by some is that this is obviously a 'dedicated koi pond' which means....no plants. These types of ponds are designed to properly function without plants, but not with a high fish load. Since the fish can't be really seen, it is impossible to even guess at what that might be.
I will re-state that the original installer should be called back in to explain the purpose and operation of all of the filtration components. Your "boss" should not wait until next year to do this.
Although your efforts are well-intentioned and honorable, @Seth, your knowledge base is not sufficient to take over maintenance of this with any hope of attaining anything level of success in correcting the issues involved and, without the assistance of a professional builder, it would take you considerable time and trial and error during which time the fish may face greater health issues than at present.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Is the fish food being used the sort of stuff that dissolves to mush easy, has a high ash content?

You might switch to dry dog biccies which don't make such a mess in the water

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've done all that I can to advise my boss and use the information at hand. I thank you all. I have just reached the limit of my usefulness and will just keep trucking.

Will update with anything from there. Supposedly he did talk with the original builders, but stated that what we are doing is good, So yeah, there's that. This is also why we prompted to get a pro involved, however, not a whole lot of people in our area. It may not take a year though, but it's my boss so I have no idea of his intentions and the so on.

Thanks again everyone!!

Ask a Question