sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
why do you think you are loosing water and are you sure it is not evaporation ,it was a hot dry summer You can go on photo bucket upload your photo's on there free .

Reaction score
not sure what kind it is---my mother-n-law got it though FingerHut,but we got a new and bigger pump and added a biofilter.And we do have a leak (where not sure) but we are looseing 2 to 2 1/2 feet in about a day and a half.So pretty much we did all new stuff (because the FingerHut stuff was cheap) all but the liner---now we think we are going to put the new EPDM one in.......but I might use all the old stuff for a real small pond somewhere else.The plastic liner isn't all that thick and I think I might have put the leak in it when I was lining the pond with river rock.I pulled all the rock out today and moved my plants to my grandson little pool---now have to catch my fish.lol fun

Reaction score
You really have to troubleshoot where the leak is before you start making any changes. Here is how you do it.

(1) You start by turning off the falls and wait. Does the pond level still drop? If No, then your leak is in the falls somewhere and you'll have to tear it apart. If Yes then Proceed to (2)
(2) Wait some more, At what level does the water level stop dropping. When the water level stops dropping then your leak is at that level somewhere. Proceed to step (3)
(3) Start pulling your rocks off while looking closely to see where the water is running out. When you find out where the water is leaking out proceed to step (4)
(4) Patch leak and fill the pond up above the spot where it was leaking and wait. If the water doesn't go down anymore proceed to step (5)
(5) Put rocks back and fill the pond again and turn the waterfall back on. If water continues to drop, go back to step (1)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
looks like 10 mil to me ,that stuff you use for like crawl spaces

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You can get rolls of it a lowes for like 35 dollars and it comes in a milky color and clear and black it also comes in 6 mil

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
that stuff breaks down in the sun also, starts to crack, at least clear plastic tends to.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
With better working weather coming for all of us
You would be far ahead to talk your husband in to pulling up the stream and putting a real liner under it.
Look at it as a remodel and make it bigger and better. I would raise the sides of the stream a few inches higher .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
like the vinyl on grandmas sofa vinyl that stuff gets hard and cracks also and is not really made for outside .You say you pond liner is plastic ,do you mean pvc or just plastic like that 10 mil stuff in lowes (like a heavy plastic grocery bag plastic ).It also degrades from sun and weather changes .You may be redoing the whole thing .

Reaction score
I would guess PVC---it was a pond kit from FingerHut,but the liner was the only thing we ended up using and we went and got a EPDM one from Lowes when we saw that we had a leak---so now we are thinking we will be doing it all over again......using the old liner for the waterfall and the EPDM one for the pond.Not sure what's going on now----checked it again this morning and the water has not gone down---my old man thinks someone is messing with it---it has held all the water this long and now the past 2 weeks the water level keeps going down fast,but now that we have been out at the pond nonstop the last few days...the water is staying the same---I have no idea what's going on now!!!----Going to leave the fish and plants in the pool today and watch the water level again today----lol I don't think a stray cat can drink 2 1/2ft of water in a day and a half. Thank you all for the help!!!! From Pulling my hair out Shannon

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
deer used to drink from my pond and I had to give them there own water trough .There would some times be 6 or 7 deer at a time ,day and night

Reaction score
Oh My---I live in town,but I do see deer sometimes in the yard,Maybe?? the old man has thought of putting a cam out there to watch the pond anyways.I do love playing in the yard and have caught kids picking my flowers for their mom lol

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I bought the one at harbor freight for 35 dollars and it works good hooked it up to a small tv and an old vcr I had .

Ask a Question