need new pump (mine burned up)

Reaction score
I have a 1500 gallon pond
skimmer box with pond filter divider
an Easypro th-250 pump
connected to a 2" tubing that is 12' long
connected to a waterfall box that has plastic ball in it for bacteria.
(fall cascades down 4' )

1. should I have some other type of filtration?
this pond is always dirty

2. I think that the th-250 was to much... water flow was to hard.
so I was thinking of replacing with an Easypro TH-150 or a
Little Giant wgfp-15 Both are 2900 gph but the Little Giant is $80 cheaper.
Any other pump instead?

3. if you say yes to question one ... then would I stick with a larger pump?

thanks in advance

Reaction score
Is the th pump you mention the one that flows 3900 gph? If so, that's definitely too large for 1500. You want to turn over your pond once per hour or hour and a half, but take into accound any twists and turns you have. So, to be safe a 2000pgh pump would me more than enough.

Please don't buy a little giant pump, they are cheap and for a reason. They're basically junk and break down easily. You can google reviews on them to find our for yourself.

Reaction score
please give us a budget amount, and we'll try to help. What's the max you are willing to spend?

Pondmaster mag pumps are good, as a start. workhorses for submersible pumps and very energy efficient.

Reaction score
You won't need to spend that much. For a submersible, I would go with the Laguna Max-flo 900 or the 1300 depending on how much water you want to push. They are locked in a cage so the muck and debris doesn't clog 'em. Make sure to put it on a brick and not directly on the ground to prevent clogging. These pumps are really good on energy usage and are a workhorse. In a few unfortunate situations, I've had 'em running out of the water (which you should not do) for a few hours with zero harm.

If you are looking for a mag drive pump, try a pondmaster PM 1800 Mag Pump. Also tough pumps. But these do not come in a cage and you should build one out of two plastic colanders strapped together.

Both these choices will be under $150 bucks if you shop properly.

Now, you don't mention what kind of skimmer you have and it if fits a pump inside it? If It does, then that's a whole different kinda pump. But you'll need to advise on this first.

Reaction score
yes the pump is in the skimmer.
half the skimmer box is the skimmer
then there is a filter material then pump.

I don't need a cage. And will the "plastic"
pumps last as long?

Reaction score
breaker breaker... anyone out there?

I have a 2" pipe to my fall.
Does anyone have a recommendation for a submersible pump, that will work with my set up?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Harbor Freight has a lot of cheap pumps. I have had a lot of success and no failures in the past 5 years of using them. You can always adapt up to the 2". In fact I am about to do the same with their 3200GPH pump for my large waterfall. Let me know if you find a fitting that works if you get one.

Ask a Question