addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There is the one big pond at the bottom where the skimmer filter and pump is.

pond3.JPG

this is one side of the lower pond bridge is to the left, arrow the waterfall
pond6.JPG

At the top there is a small pond right at the water fall bottom arrow is coming from the filter pit input water flow, right arrow from the pond without water input, top arrow heading to the water fall

pond4.JPG

This is the top pond water can flow out into the small pond at the top of the water fall.
pond5.JPG

This is the filter pit area left arrow pointing to the 3 white, well dirty white , filter pads.
pond7.JPG

filter pit and where the water comes in There is a check valve in the skimmer box so the water does not drain out if the pump is turned off.

20170521_134434.jpg
20170521_134442.jpg

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If we remove the top pond from the gallons equation, since it is not in the loop, but it should be. The gallons would be a bit more than half the total he came up with. The lower pond is larger than the top pond by about 1/3

The idea at this time is to just get a trickle flow through the top pond via a small pipe, garden hose. No way to run piping without taking apart that rock work. Not touching that!

We would run the hose/pipe through the spillway, then to the top of the pond so it flows some water down and out.
They were talking of just adding a fountain to circulate the water.

A work in progress.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use laguna because of energy savings and 3 or 4 year warranty is great ..Plus the cage around the pump heps keep stuff from getting in at the pump .But they still do need cleaned at least 2 or 3 times a year just like any pump maintain it and it lasts .You have a lot of confusing stuff to figure out addy but you can do it ,;):)make sure f they want a fountain that wind will not effect it to much plus clogging can be a problem with fountain heads

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Would this one work? I really know very little about submersibles, never used one for my ponds. Except for a 250 gph for winter hole opening.

Maximum Flow Rate 4280 U.S. GPH (16200 LPH)
Maximum Head Height: 14' 8" (5 m)
Maximum Pond Volume: 8560 U.S. gal (32400 L)
Wattage: 160 W
Voltage: 120 V/60 Hz
Amperage 3.2 A
Power Cord Length: 25' (7.5 m) 10 m
Outlet Diameter 1 ¼", 1 ½" (32, 38 mm)
http://www.lagunaponds.com/en_us/laguna-max-flo-4280-waterfall-filter-pump/

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Mine looks exactly like the one you posted. They are 1200GPH each I think. I've got 2 running and haven't noticed a spike in electrical. No issues at all with them.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have a 2900 gph and a 2400 gph and even though they state watts if you ge a watt tester they use less .If I remember correctly the bigger the hose the less wattage the use .I think I posted it in my pond build with how many watts mine used with watt tester .I think the 2900 said 100 watts and used 75 watts and the 2400 gph one said 75 but used 55 watts .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@addy1 that is mine and same gph at 4280. Hope that would be big enough for their 3 ponds tho. Mine runs through my filter and then up the 2ft or so falls. If they don't have high falls and are just moving water from one pond to another it would prolly work good enough, maybe.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Apparently, going on what photos you have posted and your own observations, all three (3) ponds were constructed to run in tandem. This means that there should be some existing plumbing leading to the top pond. It may be disconnected but it should be there.
Splitting the supply li9ne seems like wasted effort to me as all the water pumped into the top pond will return to the bottom pond anyway. If the owners want to isolate this top pond then a fountain of some type would be appropriate as you suggested.

I know that many forum members utilize mag-drive pumps and highly recommend Laguna, but this is a large water feature and a mag-drive just isn't suitable. I am sure that the owners want to see some water flowing in proportion to the size pond. A mag-drive will lose too much flow at a very low head. Though not as efficient, a direct drive solid-handling pump similar to what was originally used would be the better choice.
If the owners will maintain the very low fish load now present, then a lower (4000-5000 gph) turn-over rate is fine If they are not going to actively control the fish load then worst case scenario should be considered. In which case a (at least) 10,000 gph pump. This is assuming that all three (3) ponds will be utilized in the flow pattern.

Ask a Question