addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
direct drive solid-handling pump similar to what was originally used would be the better choice.
What kind is a good kind?

Apparently, going on what photos you have posted and your own observations, all three (3) ponds were constructed to run in tandem
I agree, but when they had the pond professionally cleaned last year, after years of neglect, the company said there was no input of water from the pump line into the top pond.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I agree, but when they had the pond professionally cleaned last year, after years of neglect, the company said there was no input of water from the pump line into the top pond.

Curious. Why would anyone construct a 3-tiered pond system with interconnecting spillways yet not provide a water source for the upper pond?
If it was me I would drain the upper pond and verify no connecting plumbing for myself.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We got it running! Love the water fall, perfect amount of flow, nice sound. Next project is splitting the flow, to the upper pond for some water movement.
IMG_1414.JPG
IMG_1415.JPG
IMG_1416.JPG

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Great!!
I have been thinking about this project and the mysterious upper pond.
Is there any evidence that there may have been a waterfall feeding this pond? That would explain the absence of any visible plumbing to the pond basin itself. Any original plumbing would remain buried.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Great!!
I have been thinking about this project and the mysterious upper pond.
Is there any evidence that there may have been a waterfall feeding this pond? That would explain the absence of any visible plumbing to the pond basin itself. Any original plumbing would remain buried.
My feeling is there is a feed, maybe, they had it professionally cleaned last year, after sitting for years. They just bought the place.

There is no waterfall to the upper pond.

There is a huge clump of yellow flag iris at the end of the pond where the water would come in, via piping. They did not want it disturbed by the cleaners. The iris might be plugging the input water flow. Otherwise why would the original owners have a spillway to the water fall and lower pond.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
My feeling is there is a feed, maybe, they had it professionally cleaned last year, after sitting for years. They just bought the place.

There is no waterfall to the upper pond.

There is a huge clump of yellow flag iris at the end of the pond where the water would come in, via piping. They did not want it disturbed by the cleaners. The iris might be plugging the input water flow. Otherwise why would the original owners have a spillway to the water fall and lower pond.

I agree. That is why it has been bothering me. Made no sense to build three interconnected ponds but not supply water to the uppermost. There had at some point in time been a line feeding this upper pond.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would love to pull the iris away and see what is there, but it is a HUGE clump and it might not even move.
So going to jury rig a flow to the upper pond, creative plumbing

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
addy; I found that my own pump could handle more water than the outlet sizing so I'd recommend you do something similar. I have a 1-1/2" outlet to which I attached an adaptor that doubled it's size. From this, I attached a wye, so 3" to (2) 1=1/2" tubes. It's worked great and now I get more flow from my one submersible. It might help here with your situation.

Michael

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks we have two options, add a Y right where the pump sends the water up to the filter box, or put a Y where the water comes out in the filter box.
The first option would mean we would need to run a hose across the ground, up a rock wall across a path to the top pond.
The second option would mean we attach a hose to the Y in the bottom of the filter box, run a hose through the spillway (black or brown) to the furthest part of the top pond (all on the same level). They bought a sea shell something (have not seen it) going to drill a hole in it and let it be a spillway from the hose into the top pond, via the hose feed.
The main issue is finding something we can put into the filter box hole 1 3/4 inch wide to begin the Y to feed water to the top pond. Sealing it so it does not get pushed out with the water pressure. It feel likes a smooth rubber type hole.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This is the filter box hole

filter.JPG

filter.JPG

The white pvc tubes hold the filter material off the bottom three white pads and then two bags of lava rock. It is around 2 foot deep

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Well, the main reason I suggested 'at the pump' is so you don't lose anything when feeding 2 sources, especially with the head calculated in. And if you add valves as I did, you can adjust as necessary. It would seem if you added the wye and kept more flow, then sent one tube to the upper pond and one to the second (?) pond, you'd get your flow through system. But like others have said; seems it'd be better to just send the whole lot to the upper and let everything flow down as probably originally planned. Doubling your pipe size would insure you'd get full pump capability. Unless the total head from pond 3 to pond 1 is prohibitive.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It is simply beautiful! A great example of a waterfall that isn't trying to pretend it's natural and yet is so pretty you don't even mind!

Ask a Question