New kid on the block :)

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Sky, I wouldn't do the sock, way to much trouble to get to if it clogs. I would make a manifold along the bottom so water could come up more evenly. I'll show you when you come over. I see the direction your going, easy fix to make far more efficient. I like that design, On the goldfish I would look into wakin, they are more warm water cold water tolerant. Great fish that's different yet pretty easy to keep in our climate, PLUS, If I can get in touch with the fellow I told you about he has a few really nice big ones we can get for your pond. Here is the one I got from him.

Attachments

• DSC03112.JPG
    DSC03112.JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 206
  • DSC03119.JPG
    DSC03119.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 205
  • DSC03106.JPG
    DSC03106.JPG
    20.8 KB · Views: 192
Reaction score
wow, that's a beautiful fish.
AND I love that shape.
I hope you can get a hold of him!!
manifold eh?
I understand. I guess you'll have to explain it tomorrow. lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I agree with Larkin, the sock sounds like a good idea, until you have to deal with moving the pea gravel to get to it. The stuff that will go into the gravel will be used by plants, if you have enough plants in there. And, since you're only talking about a couple of fish, I'd say your plants will be begging for more "manure" maybe!
I have come to the conclusion that my goldfish pond, which is 100% filtered by the plant bog, is much cleaner and clearer than my koi pond, with much smaller ratio plant bog, and Skippy filter. I know that koi make more waste, but still. That my be my next expansion, figuring out a way to expand the plant bog on the koi pond. So, as you can see, Addy has gotten several of us addicted to plant bogs as filtration systems. There is no cleaning out, plants take care of that. So, this is why for your project, I think that plant box/bog would work really well!
Glad you are good at drawing things and showing us your ideas. I really enjoy seeing it, rather than reading and figuring it out.

Reaction score
Thank you :) I was just trying to get around the total clean out problem, but if I don't have to, then screw the filter sock! LOL I'll update with a final sketch tomorrow night.

Reaction score
Don't mind the mess, I'm between projects.
From the rug to the edge of the concrete, is a little more than 3 feet.
From the house to the opposite edge of concrete is a little more than 4 feet.
Two feet deep should be good.

hence, 3x4x2

100_1141_zps777ff33b.jpg

Here's my little fish rack upstairs :) nothing fancy. I've got an empty 100 gallon, but it It's not so pretty empty. lol
100_1143_zps4fc5819a.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
And you raise Bettas, huh? Nice set up! And, that size will be perfect for your patio. Going to bring you tons of enjoyment this coming spring/summer. Now, get going on building it!!!
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Ask a Question