New Koi Pond Change in plans

Reaction score
Than
I have one of those Laguna pumps in the small existing pond and even though it is kept off the bottom by a concrete block, in the last month I have had to remove it and clean it a dozen or more times!!!! They tend to clog easier than the other two pumps in the pond (one larger flow rate and one smaller flow rate). Something to be aware of as the holes in the outer are small which is probably why they clog easier.
Thanks so much I am putting mine in the skimmer box pulling from the bottom drain at least then I can access it easily :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Than

Thanks so much I am putting mine in the skimmer box pulling from the bottom drain at least then I can access it easily :)
Good move, I have 2 pumps one in the skimmer and one in the pond, if I did it again they would be both out of the pond. Much easier to maintain

Reaction score
Looking good. You may already know this but you will want to put support legs or make C clamps so the 2x6's do but bow out, on that length they can move. Also I would put rebar in that also laying flat, you could have a frost heave because you are not below the frost line, it will help hold it all together if you get movement. Not trying to tell you what to do at all, but it is my trade so just offering advice.
Thanks so much I have a few sets of clamps in the garage :)

Reaction score
image.jpg
And I added clamps after pic of footer ;)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
What are you making the sides of .I know with my retaining wall block I just use tamped gravel dust .The concrete block on the top are just filled with mud and rebar on mine .Clay soil was enough to support it for the last 10 years so figured it was easier to stay with it .I did build the sides up even higher than those blocks

Attachments

• new pond 020.JPG
    new pond 020.JPG
    230.4 KB · Views: 164
Reaction score
What are you making the sides of .I know with my retaining wall block I just use tamped gravel dust .The concrete block on the top are just filled with mud and rebar on mine .Clay soil was enough to support it for the last 10 years so figured it was easier to stay with it .I did build the sides up even higher than those blocks
I have concrete cinder block that I am using and going to put rebar in every other hole and concrete those holes. I have a friend that used to lay block that plans on coming over to help me with it yayyyyyy lol

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know those block can be heavy ,i carried 30+ of them 2 at a time all the way from my driveway because the yard had snow on it and was very wet .Not an easy job but when you are determined enough you can do any thing .

Reaction score
I know those block can be heavy ,i carried 30+ of them 2 at a time all the way from my driveway because the yard had snow on it and was very wet .Not an easy job but when you are determined enough you can do any thing .
They sure are heavy ahhhhhh.... Yesterday I hauled 15 bags of 80 lb. Crete by hand because I didn't want ruts in grass because it was still soft and now I'm icing my elbow lol fun fun

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
never fun but found a great way to ease the soreness a hot bath with peroxide and baking soda and best things is it also cleans the jets in my spa tub .It really helps and I gave up with gloves carrying the blocks and my hands and fingers felt like I sanded them with sand paper

Reaction score
never fun but found a great way to ease the soreness a hot bath with peroxide and baking soda and best things is it also cleans the jets in my spa tub .It really helps and I gave up with gloves carrying the blocks and my hands and fingers felt like I sanded them with sand paper
That sounds like a great idea and in addition the dual-purpose lol I always seem to stare at my gloves but for some reason I generally don't put them on haha

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The problem with gloves and concrete is the gloves get stuck on them and pull off and if you use the rubber palmed gloves the block slip from your hand .I don't like gloves either ,lots of them laying around and that is there job laying around :)

Ask a Question