New pond but new to ponding

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a 1000 gallon pond for 5 years and have 5 koi and 3 fan tails. Also a few fry didn't know I had. I have so much water lettuce and water hyacinth that I give it away and almost covers the pond! If my fish eat it doesn't t seem to bother plants at all!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a is probably average winter, but I've seen it -24F here once in 30 years, and -10 to -15 at times
Country
United States
Beautiful pond. Very impressive work. All that stonework makes my back hurt just thinking about it. Do you have photos that shows the process of moving and setting the rock in place? All those shapes and sizes, not to mention the weight of those rocks to move into place and set gently without causing bodily damage or damage to the liner. You must have an excellent method with skilled help and good equipment, and I would like to see how you handled it.

I'm like you in that I much prefer a more natural looking pond with many plants, and I hope you will continue to keep us updated as the pond evolves with the addition of the plants and fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Beautiful pond. Very impressive work. All that stonework makes my back hurt just thinking about it. Do you have photos that shows the process of moving and setting the rock in place? All those shapes and sizes, not to mention the weight of those rocks to move into place and set gently without causing bodily damage or damage to the liner. You must have an excellent method with skilled help and good equipment, and I would like to see how you handled it.

I'm like you in that I much prefer a more natural looking pond with many plants, and I hope you will continue to keep us updated as the pond evolves with the addition of the plants and fish.

Thanks. I placed the biggest stones with my backhoe and a nylon strap. The others were just set using old fashion muscle. My step son helped some, as did my neighbor, and my wife was a real trooper. Luckily no one got hurt other than a smashed finger nail or two. I don't think I actually took any photos while the rocks were being set. Her is a link to all the photos I took. And below is a photo of my tractor.

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipMiKzQmU3WA91lAKh9sNPuNvo--OsqFSIrAQDNx

Attachments

• f346170717.jpg
    f346170717.jpg
    365.7 KB · Views: 217
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
Wow! Beautiful pond. If we had a backhoe my pond would have ended up deeper. As my son called us when we were digging, 5 foot backhoes, a shovel and a human. This 5 foot backhoe decided 30 inches was as deep as it was going to get.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wow! Beautiful pond. If we had a backhoe my pond would have ended up deeper. As my son called us when we were digging, 5 foot backhoes, a shovel and a human. This 5 foot backhoe decided 30 inches was as deep as it was going to get.

Thanks. I'm with on the hand digging. Just cleaning up the sides and bottom by hand was enough for us. If I had to hand dig, my pond would be much, much smaller. Same with the boulders. Many I would have had no chance at being able to move and set in place.

Ask a Question