sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I did the same thing with my pond so far back I put in a wall of concrete block .I filled mine with dirt and hammered rebar down in the holes to hold the block .Gosh it is going to be a nice view from your house .I can just see looking out the upstairs windows down on the pond

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
So it is going to be right next to your other one, how big is this one going to be? Looks about the same size.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Sissy, Funny you should notice that. Both ponds are actually set up to be seen in full from the upstairs windows. I actually have the sides of the ponds set so that when your looking down from upstairs you view just the edge of the pond outward.
Todd the second pond will be approx. 1500-2000 gallons larger than the other one. Surface wise the second pond will actually appear smaller than the one that is up and running now, but it will be almost twice as deep. Together the two should total about 20,000 gallons give or take. Once the two ponds are up and running then I want to make a covered gazebo that will be a sitting area/bridge to cross between the two.
Got my netting put up just before we went on vacation. I was really worried about a heron visiting the pond while we were gone and actually had to install cotton twine instead of fishing string to secure everything for now. This will not be permanent, It will need quite a bit of tweaking as time goes by. The side fencing is to low and needs to be at least a foot higher so I don't keep getting my head caught in the lines when I walk around the pond. Also want to change the lines out to thick fishing line so they don't stand out quite as much.
We got back from N.C. and picked up the two koi I have had my dealer holding for me for over six months now. Shamu, the black Kumonryu has been one of my favorites for quite some time. I watched her spawn last year and have watched some of her babies growing up for the past year. We got her home and she jumped like a killer whale for probably 12-18 times the first couple of hours after I introduced her. The name Shamu just fits her so well, her belly is snow white, when she eats she ALWAYS feeds with her tail pointed straight down and her face 2-3" out of the water, and she loves to be petted under her chin. I would be sick if anything happened to her. Of all the Koi I have ever owned she is by far the friendliest, most sociable pet fish I have ever owned.

Attachments

• Shamu and kojak 030.JPG
    Shamu and kojak 030.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 318
  • Shamu and kojak 003.JPG
    Shamu and kojak 003.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 325
  • Shamu and kojak 016.JPG
    Shamu and kojak 016.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 284
  • Shamu and kojak 013.JPG
    Shamu and kojak 013.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 334
  • Shamu and kojak 012.JPG
    Shamu and kojak 012.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 299
  • Shamu and kojak 022.JPG
    Shamu and kojak 022.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 271

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wow that's some set up you have to keep those fish safe! They all look so pretty in the photo's and I like the last photo of them all heading in one direction like they are rushing for the dinner buffet in Las Vegas :LOL:

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
JW, It's so cool, I get on the feeding deck and they come from every direction to the front of the deck, I can walk around the pond and the whole group will follow me. Lucky the brown (Chagoi) butterfly is usually the lead fish. Although the two big Kohaku's also lead at times as well. They will do circles, follow the leader, and then sometimes split into two packs and meet on the other side. You would love Shamu. She comes up face first and loves to have her chin rubbed. She will roll on the surface and show her white belly off if she isn't getting enough attention. She really has the look and personality of a trained Orca. I'm wanting my son to come feed so I can photograph. She will pose for pics but Suzanne doesn't seem to like to hand feed like my son and I do. Kind of hard to photograph them and get splashed at the same time. Pics to come soon, I promise!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Does sound neat and one that looks like a killer whale would be very cool! Glad you got to finally get her from the guy and bring her home. Sounds like she loves it at your place. Would be neat if you could post a video of her and her friends in action.
Hey one of my bro-in-laws lives down in Ponchatoula, La and if we ever get down that way it'd be neat to stop in and see your ponds and fish up close and say hi. We haven't been down in yrs and my DH keeps talking about driving our camper down there to see him and his family. Would love to stop and see all my pond forum friends on the way there through all the different states and if we get a passport maybe even Canada..................Collen and Haro and ?,lol!

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Pontchatoula is only a few miles from me, Dan (Maggo) is from there as well. Minnowman is in Thibodeux maybe a hour or less from Pontchatoula. Plus there also is a member in Slidell and New Orleans that are less than a hour away. It would be neat to do a pond tour huh? If you do ever get down your more than welcome to come by and visit, have a cup of coffee and feed the critters. lol
I'll have to get a video of the pond, haven't done one of this pond yet. Good Idea!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Thanks for the invite Larkin......................after I invited myself..............shame on me
giggle.gif

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very nice herd you have there Larkin, That will be one great set up when you are done.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Well we are finally about done with the barn. Only a few more touch ups and we start on the front Patio and koi pond this next week if the weather will allow. We need at least five straight days of no rain to get the walls and slab poured. Took some time out today to take a few pics as we have a few cool flowers blooming, babies in the pond, and a couple of other random shots.

Attachments

• lilys babies barn 016.JPG
    lilys babies barn 016.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 273
  • lilys babies barn 018.JPG
    lilys babies barn 018.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 328
  • lilys babies barn 019.JPG
    lilys babies barn 019.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 327
  • lilys babies barn 010.JPG
    lilys babies barn 010.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 331
  • lilys babies barn 012.JPG
    lilys babies barn 012.JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 312
  • lilys babies barn 009.JPG
    lilys babies barn 009.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 294
  • lilys babies barn 013.JPG
    lilys babies barn 013.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 302
  • lilys babies barn 014.JPG
    lilys babies barn 014.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 344
  • lilys babies barn 020.JPG
    lilys babies barn 020.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 298
  • lilys babies barn 003.JPG
    lilys babies barn 003.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 279
  • lilys babies barn 007.JPG
    lilys babies barn 007.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 310

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
wow I am amazed at how much you have gotten done .It looks like the ponds have always been there .I would not have believed you if you said to me this is all new .The plants are amazing and that barn is something .Cripes this is speed ponding and building and planting .Makes what i have been doing a drop in the bucket

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very nice! agree with all typed above^^^^ sissy covered it all!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Your barn looks great fishin and pretty pix of what's blooming there and of course the lovely fish. That is a cool looking dragonfly, never seen one like that w/ clear wings and big spots!

Ask a Question