New pond construction. The Water Garden Pond

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
It definitely looks like it has been there for awhile. Great job. I'm looking forward to your Koi pond being next.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Finally after four long months there is finally some progress on the koi pond. Got the Bottom drain line installed and started the side form boards for the retaining walls.

Attachments

• koi pond build 001.JPG
    koi pond build 001.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 313
  • koi pond build 003.JPG
    koi pond build 003.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 313
  • koi pond build 004.JPG
    koi pond build 004.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 307
  • koi pond build 005.JPG
    koi pond build 005.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 360
  • koi pond build 007.JPG
    koi pond build 007.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 312
  • koi pond build 012.JPG
    koi pond build 012.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 302
  • koi pond build 013.JPG
    koi pond build 013.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 326
  • koi pond build 015.JPG
    koi pond build 015.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 320
  • koi pond build 018.JPG
    koi pond build 018.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 316

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very nice fishin, like the walk out steps! didn't do that with my arizona pond, it was a pita to get out of.

That is going to be wonderful

Reaction score
Quite the project you got going there Larkin, will you be mixing the concrete yourself or bringing a truck in?
I couldn't see any rebar in the forms, are you doing it without or did I just miss it?
Keep taking time out to get those progress pictures, it's something that often gets forgotten about when you get real busy with the task at hand, but really nice to have when the project is all done.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Mucky, we are just starting the form boards, the contractor is installing the rebarb after he forms up. ?? I don't know why i guess he has a technique that he prefers. As for the pond itself it's going to be a liner pond. I figured if I didn't like it I could come back later and cement the whole thing in.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That is going to be fantastic when you get finished! It's huge! How many koi can fit in a pond that size?

Reaction score
I was assuming those were the forms for the side walls around the pond, and the cement gets poured between the cavity between the plywood???
Usually it's easier to form up one side and bend and install the rebar to fit, then install the other side of the form, but maybe I'm not following what's going on.

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Wow that is going to be one great Koi pond. I loved watching your other build and am looking forward to this one too.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I was assuming those were the forms for the side walls around the pond, and the cement gets poured between the cavity between the plywood???
Usually it's easier to form up one side and bend and install the rebar to fit, then install the other side of the form, but maybe I'm not following what's going on.
Your right, it is just this contractor builds the form then installs the re-barb. We ran vertical bars today every 30" then ran turn outs from the sides to the patio form to help reinforce the sides every 36" two runs of vertical re-barb. Tonight we decided to go ahead and run mesh in the wall all the way around for even more reinforcement. The contractor isn't cutting any corners but he does have some different ways of doing things than I expected. Today we just worked on the re-barb and forming for the patio, Tomorrow we pour the walls! Yippee! Oh, and found out today I STILL didn't buy a big enough piece of liner. With the finished forms we were 2.5 feet short on the sides. Thank goodness my dealer needed to do a seam training so that EDPM would warranty the seams. He contacted the distributor and they have someone to certify him and myself in seaming, At no cost! That was a relief. They had enough liner in stock and the kit and the extra liner ran $250, A lot better than the $875 they wanted for a new liner. Also the distributor guarantees the seam for the life of the liner. So I guess I'll get to see how that works. Must say though I'm really nervous of putting a seam in that big of a pond!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Bet it will be fine Larkin, if not at least you know where to look for the leak....................j/k!

Reaction score
I'd like to see some updated pictures before it all gets poured.

And don't forget to get some pictures of the liner seaming proccess, you may need them when you try to get your warranty. LOL

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
geeze looks like swimming pool :razz:look even steps for short people like me

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
OMG, This had to be one of the most stressful days since the move to the new house, I don't think one thing went right all day. If you look at my showcase thread you will see more pics of today. Got the bottom drain cemented in place and leveled out. The back wall dirt caved out during the pour, the form boards couldn't hold all the weight and started bowing. The pump truck arrived 1/2 hour early, the cement truck two hours late. The pour took two hours and 15 minutes. Cleaning up the pump truck took another 30 minutes. Did I mention a pump truck costs $350 an hour with a one hour minimum and it rolls to the next hour until completion. So we got billed for 6 hours of pump truck for $400 worth of cement. And then the back wall fails. UGH, got the form boards off and the contractor can't get back here until Monday. Please don't let it rain. Murphy's law if it can go wrong it will, I have 6 20 foot boards ready and two rolls of visquene ready to put over if it does start. Just hope we can keep as much water as possible out until Monday now. Will be setting up tomorrow to seam the liner and patch a small hole that the hose did during the pumping process.

Attachments

• Koi pond pics 019.JPG
    Koi pond pics 019.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 273
  • Koi pond pics 016.JPG
    Koi pond pics 016.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 294
  • Koi pond pics 020.JPG
    Koi pond pics 020.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 302
  • Koi pond pics 024.JPG
    Koi pond pics 024.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 324
  • Koi pond pics 027.JPG
    Koi pond pics 027.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 287
  • Koi pond pics 031.JPG
    Koi pond pics 031.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 349
  • Koi pond pics 032.JPG
    Koi pond pics 032.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 339
  • Koi pond pics 033.JPG
    Koi pond pics 033.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 291
  • Koi pond pics 045.JPG
    Koi pond pics 045.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 317
  • Koi pond pics 042.JPG
    Koi pond pics 042.JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 344
  • Koi pond pics 047.JPG
    Koi pond pics 047.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 310
  • Koi pond pics 048.JPG
    Koi pond pics 048.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 299

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It's not a koi pond it is the national debt .Would have been easier going with concrete block or a preformed .I looked into preformed basement walls when this house was done and the cost was absolutely great ,problem was the time it would take and my house back in NJ had sold and the guy wanted to close fast .I dealt with a company in NC and they did everything preformed brought it to the sight guaranteed it would not leak for 30 years and they did everything and cheaper than the basement in block wall i had done .25 thousand for concrete block wall basement 100 ft long and 34 ft. wide and prefab one installed was 15 thousand and came with sleepers inside and the prefab ones were insulated and they waterproofed and put drainage around the outside .Problem was they were busy and it would be way over a month or 2 .Even came with window and door openings .I found them on the net when I googled basements after seeing a show on this old house about prefab basement walls .

Ask a Question