addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You got water flowing! great! Confused on what your hubby did, dump a load of rocks in the pond?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Haha, yes he just dumped the load of pea gravel in the bog. I asked if it was clean he said it looks clean then dumped it in and I have super brown water now lol. I'll clean next load of rocks for sure.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
This is this morning, notice the bog is still full of floating dirt from the pea gravel we put yesterday.

image.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Haha, yes he just dumped the load of pea gravel in the bog. I asked if it was clean he said it looks clean then dumped it in and I have super brown water now lol. I'll clean next load of rocks for sure.
aww I thought he dumped a load of rock in the pond part. I did not rinse ours, we had way to much, on a well, a dry summer so the 30000 + lbs went in dirty the water cleared up nicely. Put some quilt batting at the end of the water fall if you want to clean some of the dirt out.

Anytime I mess with the plants in the bog I can totally cloud the pond up where it looks like a mud pond, but within 6-12 hours it is clear again. Sometimes less depends on how much messing around I did.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
NO MORE leak!!!! Well, one small one but that can easily be fix now :) I'm so happy.

So yesterday I tried to dig the new trench for the pipe using the tiller and the dingo.... Result was so bad I had to accept that my pump isn't going to be deep... Only an inch or two deep :cry: but in winter I'll drain the pipe so hopefully that will help. The clay is too hard.

Here's the new set up... Oh and I lined the big with cardboard and the stream with sand.

View attachment 81724

View attachment 81725

Then my husband got a big bag of rock (1000 lbs) and used the dingo to lift it over the big and just put the hole at the bottom... The result was good but now my pond is brown.. Can't see anything. I'll have to go buy quilt batting....

Fun time now is to put the rocks in!!!!

Your pond is looking great! I can't wait to see the finished product!

However, my only concern would be the depth of the stream. Specifically, the amount of liner you have above the water level on the stream. I learned the hard way that having the stream level too close to ground level is a VERY easy way for a leak to occur. My stream is only about half as long as yours, and it was a major pain to take out, dig deeper, put back in, and then put all the rocks back into place. After re-digging my stream, I shot for my stream water level to be about 6-8 inches below the upper part of the liner. This way, once I put rocks in the stream, and when vegetation starts growing, the stream won't be diverted, and I won't be left with dry pumps.

I'm going to be buying a new house this summer, and I'm planning on a bigger stream, and a more leak-proof stream, which, for me, means one with higher sides.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Lol the pond is still cloudy as of now :) I'll be patient!

Didn't do much to the ponds of day.. But at least got the 'fall' part of my waterfall to at least look like one :)

A small fall from the bog
image.jpg

A fall from the stream. Not sold on the rocks, but the big one is too heavy for me and my husband to even carry so it's these two for now.
image.jpg

Anyway, a frog found my pond and laid eggs!! But at the end of the day I couldn't find the eggs anymore so I might not have tadpole after all :(

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Your pond is looking great! I can't wait to see the finished product!

However, my only concern would be the depth of the stream. Specifically, the amount of liner you have above the water level on the stream. I learned the hard way that having the stream level too close to ground level is a VERY easy way for a leak to occur. My stream is only about half as long as yours, and it was a major pain to take out, dig deeper, put back in, and then put all the rocks back into place. After re-digging my stream, I shot for my stream water level to be about 6-8 inches below the upper part of the liner. This way, once I put rocks in the stream, and when vegetation starts growing, the stream won't be diverted, and I won't be left with dry pumps.

I'm going to be buying a new house this summer, and I'm planning on a bigger stream, and a more leak-proof stream, which, for me, means one with higher sides.
Thanks for the info! I think that is a possibility that I didn't think of. I can always build up the wall :) I can't really dig the stream, I build up the sides. I'll put some more on the side, I don't think I'll have too deep of the gravel in the stream, and my stream widen after the bend so it's not too deep there. But I'll keep that in mind, thank you!!!

Going to take a while to finish hahahah, no more weekends until late June, at least the decoration part is more fun ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Thanks for the info! I think that is a possibility that I didn't think of. I can always build up the wall :) I can't really dig the stream, I build up the sides. I'll put some more on the side, I don't think I'll have too deep of the gravel in the stream, and my stream widen after the bend so it's not too deep there. But I'll keep that in mind, thank you!!!

Going to take a while to finish hahahah, no more weekends until late June, at least the decoration part is more fun ;)

Just trying to pass on info to save someone the same frustrations I had! My problem wasn't the depth of the gravel, it was little splashes from the bigger rocks that would slowly leak a lot of water out, and plant growth that diverted the water. With higher sides, the plants had to really get out of control to divert water.

Your falls look really good BTW!

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Adhesive - Firestone 7877 spray adhesive. Made for Firestone EPDM liners.

7767.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks Morewater! I'll get it and keep it handy :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Just trying to pass on info to save someone the same frustrations I had! My problem wasn't the depth of the gravel, it was little splashes from the bigger rocks that would slowly leak a lot of water out, and plant growth that diverted the water. With higher sides, the plants had to really get out of control to divert water.

Your falls look really good BTW!
That's the whole idea of this board, sharing experiences!! Which is great because I've never thought about rocks or plants getting my water diverted out, I thought about wicking but not anything diverted the water. I'll now keep that in mind when I put the rocks and plants in :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
My pond doesnt have ledge and the water level and the edge are so far apart already I cant really dig the dirt (heavy packed clay) so I'm going to have to figure something for my 'pond edging'. Probably going to have a lot of creeping plants.... any idea???

More frog eggs this morning.. HOORAHHH!!!

Ask a Question