New Pond, First Pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I'm pondering this too. Since my backyard pond will be more shallow, and intended for wildlife, I anticipate some critters actually getting in. I think the rocks will help protect the liner. But I'd sure like to save money!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@KDubU thank you. It's nice that you can't see the liner at all w/that top shelf down just a few inches or so depending on what size rocks you use.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm pondering this too. Since my backyard pond will be more shallow, and intended for wildlife, I anticipate some critters actually getting in. I think the rocks will help protect the liner. But I'd sure like to save money!
Put a shallow layer of pea gravel in the pond bottom, that will help protect the liner. The rocks around the edge will help the critters get out of the pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
More progress with the bog roughed out. Still
Need to measure everything accurately, depth wise.

B0A292A9-42A9-423D-AABC-51D2F8691EA7.jpeg

A03682F3-7D30-45C2-BF70-EC1A6D3D3749.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Not a lot of progress of late due to some business travel all last week and then coming home with a brutal virus that laid me up all holiday weekend. I have some a little bit of landscaping though and planted a couple trees and perennials. A lot more to do before that is done but did not want to try planting in the heat of July.

492EE7C6-DFC1-41F1-AD3E-247DB4068FC5.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks! Feeling a lot better today and went to order stones for the pond. They arrive next Tuesday, 4 pallet loads (large, medium and 2 small size stones). All New Hampshire Fieldstone. Also bought some 2” minus round for the bottom and to fill in around the larger stones.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Coming along nicely KD, One thing I am finding out is narrow shelves make it hard for plants to get established . looking at more and more ponds these days after building one my recommendation would be no shelves under 20 inches wide. And do not cut the liner roll it up and tuck it under or over what ever you'd like but try not to cut it save all you have for latter adjustments.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Kd in your neck of the woods i'd be looking for some free boulders. maybe not in kennebunk bunk but cross the interstate and id bet you can find people who would pay you to pull up boulders from there lawns. as far as a couple bigger rocks outside i would give it as best a shot as i could to get a couple into the pond let them be two or three times taller then those around them to break up the ring of pearls, as they call it when the rocks are daisy chained around the edge. talk to a local landscaper and see if he needs to dispose of some rocks. if i had to do it over i would stick with the large rocks yes a bit more work but looks so real.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you want to save money on rocks, you can make a very nice rocked edge around the pond without stacking rocks in the pond.
Also the rocks in the pond remove water space from the fish. I have had rocks in the pond, but prefer just liner.
Make a shallow shelf stack rocks on it up and out of the pond. Hides the liner beautifully.
View attachment 120965
do you have a problem with shelf integrity if you do not use rocks in the pond?

Ask a Question