New Pond, First Pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Liner in for the pond, went a lot easier than I thought it would. Now need to connect it to the skimmer, build the bog dividing wall and install the bog liner. Stones are coming Tuesday so got to get ready!

View attachment 121490
getting there!
One of my favorite parts of my build was standing inside while the pond filled for the first time and smoothing out the creases.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Received the stones mid last week and now am off on two weeks vacation so time to get this pond up and working!

10C352FD-79B6-4C13-BE28-BFCFA9A75DCF.jpeg

F4DB7B0F-1051-4BE0-9575-F3BF35E3A9F4.jpeg

98B5B988-0D6B-4647-B3A8-3055D46A7353.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The fun has begun it's looking real nice. One word of caution be careful with granite as you know it can be very hard and very sharp. Why are your not installing and fabric under the rocks I'd be selective in what pieces go in.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I'd. The fun has begun it's looking real nice. One word of caution be careful with granite as you know it can be very hard and very sharp. Why are your not installing and fabric under the rocks I'd be selective in what pieces go in.
I have to agree. I dont know if it's shadows, but some of those pieces look like they have sharp edges. I'm a stickler for the shape of stones anywhere near my liner. Any rocks that get near the pond are smooth in every way.
It's always a good idea to have an extra layer of something under rocks. Whether it be an extra piece of liner or liner underlayment.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes in my frugal way of doing things I started to use some of the stones I had dug up and they have sharp edges. I have since removed those and also added underlayment under a few of the larger stones. Turns out I have plenty of purchased stone and was a lot more picky yesterday.

76289E13-67CF-43B8-BB31-752503EA6295.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Plan on your walls being at least 6 inches higher so you can bring rocks up that high so when you go to fold over the liner you can have rocks coming out of the water not just sitting on he edge that starts looking like a ring or pearls

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yup - like @GBBUDD suggested, you want a shelf just below the water line to wide enough to hold rocks that will be partially submerged, partially exposed. You'll get a much more natural look that way and have a place to grow plants between and around the rocks.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes that is how I want it to end up looking, just have to think it through on how to do it right. While I understand the concept, I need to choose the right stones and place them correctly to get that “look”.

Stopped by a water garden center yesterday and they build nice ponds. Had a ton of Koi and really big ones in a couple ponds. Absolutely no protection from predators which really surprised me and they are located out in NH in a rural area. Just a couple pics of one pond, forgot to take pics of all the other ones. Good news is it appears they still have some pond plants I can purchase, just need to get me pond up and running this week!.

E725630B-650B-4E27-A856-2F63407CA0AB.jpeg

9554897E-7ADE-4DDD-ACD4-FE579D803B56.jpeg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This is what they are saying a nice shallow shelf for the rocks to sit on, coming up and out of the water. Totally hides the liner. Red is rocks
pnd.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks everyone, that helps. @Lisak1, I have watched that vid three times and the last was just yesterday. I like his last option how he tucks the liner over itself, foams the edge between the rock and then puts soil up close so plants can planted right near the stones. Definitely my plan, just need to get it done.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Excellent! I think this series by The Pond Digger is the single best resource for DIY pond builders out there. He is an excellent teacher and the way he breaks the process down into steps and explains the important parts of each one is so very helpful. I am a visual learner - I can read things and go "huh" but show me once and I'll get it. His other videos are great, too, but I refer to this one over and over.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes Pond Digger does a great job detailing how to build a pond and all the details.

Built the bog manifold today. Need to get end caps though as original plan was to have elbows and all four arms attached together but end caps is easier and I don’t think there is any benefit going the previous planned way. Drilled Holes every 4” On the underside and noticed only now two outside arms a bit longer. :oops:

0727771C-D5A9-4F2F-8934-CC6CCD45FB43.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Picked up some pea gravel today and will wash it before laying it into the bog. Put the manifold in for a test fit but am thinking I need to dig down a few more inches which I will do tomorrow as it’s pouring rain here. Need to look at how far off the bottom the manifold should be as I have read different things.
D9260675-F88F-49FD-AC06-EED3259C7DFA.jpeg

Ask a Question