New pond questions.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
There are both short term fixes - such as ammonia removers - and long term fixes. You need to research the nitrogen cycle to understand what's happening in your pond. Google it and you'll find simple explanations along with what you need to watch for and how to protect your fish as the pond is cycling.

While this forum is a great place to get help and advice and share information, at some point it's important for every pond owner to have a working knowledge of how the pond works from an ecological point of view. It's not hard to find that information online - I would encourage you to take the time to do so.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
For high ammonia...as stated by Lisak1, the natural cycle is paramount. But as a quick fix to dilute the high concentration of ammonia, a partial water change.
The type of filtration is important too. Not just filter sponge type medium, but also some type of bio balls that beneficial bacteria can grow and thrive on.
Another note is that you can rinse off the filter media every so often, but never rinse the bio balls. You need to keep that good bacteria alive in order to keep the cycle going.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Since this pond is only about 3 weeks old and there is no alga in it should i turn off the UV filters until the spring?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Are they canister filters with built in UV? I would let the algae build up in the pond to give the fish something to nibble on this winter. UVs need to be protected from freezing. Your in Georgia so don't think that would be a problem but the canister filters can freeze and burst so watch your temperatures.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
OK So i will unplug the canister UV's and keep the filters moving. I think if the water is always moving it won't freeze.I hope! I also have two aerators going.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I don't take any chances. I take my canister filters in for the winter. The only filtration I keep all year is a submerged bucket with a small 550gph pump covered with lava rock. I have a pvc pipe going from the pump outlet to just below the water surface. This creates a fountain that spews the water about 8"-10" above the surface. This helps keep an opening in the ice for the most part of the winter. During long extreme cold spells an ice dome will form though. I do have a low wattage de-icer and an air stone too. Like I said, I don't like taking chances. But that's me...I tend to keep on the cautious side.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
OK So i will unplug the canister UV's and keep the filters moving. I think if the water is always moving it won't freeze.I hope! I also have two aerators going.
If there is any chance of freezing, empty canister filters and bring them in. They aren't cheap and will be damaged if they freeze.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have two of them. I bit of an overkill.

Attachments

• 20181110_093007.jpg
    20181110_093007.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 128
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Water Temp. is 60.They stay there all day.The pump is off.???

Attachments

• 20181110_142804.jpg
    20181110_142804.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 124
  • 20181110_142937.jpg
    20181110_142937.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 122
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
They like to hang out where they have cover. Mabe they think they're hidden by the pump.
I haven't read the whole thread, But mabe you can add a couple "hidey holes" for them elsewhere in the pond.
For some reason, as yet unknown to me, my minnow likes to hang out under the intake for the filter pump.
But lately, with water temp being close to 32 he's under the filter tub. The goldfish were hanging out this morning under the ice with a cover of pine straw.

Ask a Question