New pond

Reaction score
Good morning all, i'm new here and so firstly would like to say hi to everyone and look forward to reading many of your posts etc. Secondly as my subject says I'm in the process of getting my pond up and running but my question is can i use breeze block in the water without harming any fish (when i eventually get them)...i want to use a piece of purple slate in the pond under the pump to create something a bit difference but will need it lifted up on something and thats where i thought the breeze block upended might come in useful. Your suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Reaction score
Not sure what breeze blocks are, but if they are made of concrete, beware. They seep and make your pond alkaline (increases PH). It depends how big your pond is and how much you want to use how dangerous that is, but to be safe, I would treat those blocks with some sealant, like epoxy paint.

Reaction score
Welcome and good luck with the pond. I have used breeze (cinder) block in two ponds. One a very small pond has had one for a couple years and one year for the other. Because it has sharp edges you might want to make sure there is something under it so it won't puncher your liner.

Are you using a flexible liner or hard form shaped liner?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome lorraine not sure is breeze block made of cement because that will change your ph and what kind fish and what size pond .I like the sound of that purple slate and would love to see pics of it and if you put it in the pond it could and will be covered by algae and you loose the beauty of it .Just like the liner the slate will get covered and you will have clean it often

Reaction score
awww what a lovely welcome and thank you for your responses. Breeze blocks are the kind of open brick they make internal walls off (i believe) ...bear with me I am female lol and i will only be using one upended to give height. The pond is a preformed one but my Husband is desperate to have fish so maybe if its not a good idea i wont use it and let him have his fish...i've just googled the breeze blocks and found they are made of:

"Breeze block is a building block made of concrete with cinder aggregate. It is also called cinder blocks, clinker blocks, concrete blocks in the UK. These blocks are mainly made of cement and some amounts of aggregate forms of concrete consisting of sand as well as fine gravel."

Reaction score
A preformed pond? I suppose thats going to be relatively small. Definitely would avoid using that block, especially if its new and hasnt weathered for a decade or so. Either use something else, inert (plastic or the like), or paint it with a sealant.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
true even a garbage can cut down with holes in it to give the fish a place to hide from any predators and if you can down a milk crate you could do the same thing just cut a tunnel hole also 2 things in 1

Reaction score
wow...thank you for those great ideas..would be nice to have something growing out through the holes maybe...just a thought....thank you all once again

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the group!

smileywelcome687.gif

Ask a Question