New to forum

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Well got the net over it today. those crysanthamums really bloomed out!
10-28-14 005.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ok see it now but it's not over your pond right now..............I get it :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I had to look closely, too, JW. It IS over his entire pond. Check out the rock edge all the way around, you can see where it is bunched up. I was looking for it elevated higher over the pond, instead of stretched over. It looks great, Kevin, hardly can tell it's there. Assume you put it up to keep leaves out. If you can put a large inflated ball in the center of your pond, it will tent the net, and more leaves will fall to the outside edge, easier to remove from the net. Just a thought ... like they do with backyard swimming pools. :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
HaH I had to get out my magnifying glass and yep it is over the pond alright and heck you can't even see it very well at all! If it is just for leaves it will work well but if you ever need it to keep the fish stealing Heron out you will have to raise it up for that kind of protection as if low like that the bird can still stab at the fish but not get them out. He can harm or kill the fish still.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Folks here use a variety of things. I've used a floating deicer, but this year am using a small aerator and a pond breather.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
In one of my ponds, I use a small 1200 gph fountain pump, set on a milk crate so it's just about 8" below the surface, and have it shooting water towards the surface to help keep and opening. Then have a floating tank heater (if you have a farm store nearby, they are usually cheaper than if you go to a pond store and buy them, plus higher wattage, so keeps the water thawed better, although they cost more to run, too), over the moving water to disperse the warmth. In the koi pond, I have an aerator blowing bubbles to the surface. Again, the bubbler is tied to a milk crate, so it's not taking the bottom water and stirring it. The tank heater is above that area, too. And, both of these systems are just in front of my skimmers, which I keep running all winter, if possible, for more water movement, to help keep the ice from getting too deep and not allowing water to move into the skimmer.
Also, my bogs run all winter long, and maybe because the water circulates from deep in the bog, under ground level, they have no trouble running all winter, even last winter with the extreme cold we had. Supposed to be colder this winter. Ugh!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Yes it has started out cold. I have the 250 watt pond heater in place since last week. The gold fish were out "sunning" themselves these past two days. I have added cold water bacteria as per directions. Monday there was a thin layer of ice over the pond, less were the heater is.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Great news! Be ready for those fish to really grow this coming season. They didn't get much growing time last fall. Bet the kids will be anxious for the ice to be gone, and them given the ok to start feeding them once the water warms up. looks like your netting did a great job, and is still firmly in place.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
I think they grew over winter. I removed the net yesterday. The ones I put in last May are 3"- 4" long. They all started out at about 3/4".

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Oh wow, they sure have! They will really grow again this summer, too. You have done a fantastic job, but the kids at school love it. You need to post a pic with the kids .... wait, maybe that's not a good idea, for safety/security reasons. Oh well, just let us know how the kids like it, and if they get the time to sit outside around the pond yet.

Ask a Question