New to the forums

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@Lisak1
Yes it is but currently our stock on pond stuff is slim due to the fact that it is winter. Any liquids like algaecide or sludgeaway are inside in the seasonal department (the greenhouse isn't heated and it would freeze and burst if left out there) stuff like pumps and pressure filters are still outside. We also got in some automatic dosing systems but they haven't been selling well.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Welcome Thomas.:)

I'm curious, when you have a new pond customer come into the store, what instructions do you give them as to how to best start up a new pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Welcome Tommy! I also live in IL, but south central, so no idea where you are located in Chicago, but glad there are others on here that will likely visit your store in the near future, or maybe wait until spring.
I, too, would like to hear your recommendations to a new pond owner. Don't worry, you can't give a wrong answer. People on here will comment on what they have done the same way and how it worked out, if they have done things totally different and how THAT worked out, etc. We are a very diverse group, and love to hear all different ways to set up ponds. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@MitchM
It depends on what they are trying to do. If they want to start a koi pond we tell them to add something like quick start to remove any chlorine and other heavy elements. We also reccomend they buy a pH tester along with a kit to test levels of certain elements like nitrogen. We sell pond liners as well in case they don't already have that. As well as pressure filters, pumps, etc. We typically steer them away from getting the koi the same day. We let them know the basics of having a koi pond to keep it short. We also have a few examples of a pond setup to show where everything should go (like bottom drains, filter systems, etc). We also ask if they have problems with animals like raccoons or herons. So we can reccomend ways to keep them from getting to your fish. There is a lot to state so this is just a summary.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Do you educate them at all about the biofilm layer that is responsible for processing ammonia?
or
- about the nitrogen cycle?
- do you sell straight ammonia so they can cycle their pond via fishless cycling?
- do you sell them testing kits so they can monitor the progress of the cycling process?

If you do, what are typical customer reactions to this?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@Tula funny story actually, the business is mostly garden related and it has a greenhouse and nursery, and I wanted to work there because I knew a lot about vegetable gardening and I found out they have a pretty sizeable pond section and I got into that really quick. It is an amazing job.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Do you educate them at all about the biofilm layer that is responsible for processing ammonia?
or
- about the nitrogen cycle?
- do you sell straight ammonia so they can cycle their pond via fishless cycling?
- do you sell them testing kits so they can monitor the progress of the cycling process?

If you do, what are typical customer reactions to this?

Thanks.

We do sell and teach them about what you mentioned, and the common reaction is that people get overwhelmed. They come in thinking koi ponds are a simple thing to build and maintain. They then find out it is expensive and can be complicated, and god forbid they complain about price and then want to add lights.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@CountryEscape
I actually have a set I'm selling on this website. It is in the classified section. And it says on there $90 but seriously I'm willing to negotiate. What's your spending limit?

Ask a Question