New to the forums

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Thomas Gannon, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Thomas Gannon

CountryEscape

Welcome Tommy! I also live in IL, but south central, so no idea where you are located in Chicago, but glad there are others on here that will likely visit your store in the near future, or maybe wait until spring.
    I, too, would like to hear your recommendations to a new pond owner. Don't worry, you can't give a wrong answer. People on here will comment on what they have done the same way and how it worked out, if they have done things totally different and how THAT worked out, etc. We are a very diverse group, and love to hear all different ways to set up ponds. :)

CountryEscape, Oct 29, 2015
    1. Advertisements

2. Thomas Gannon

Thomas Gannon

@MitchM
    It depends on what they are trying to do. If they want to start a koi pond we tell them to add something like quick start to remove any chlorine and other heavy elements. We also reccomend they buy a pH tester along with a kit to test levels of certain elements like nitrogen. We sell pond liners as well in case they don't already have that. As well as pressure filters, pumps, etc. We typically steer them away from getting the koi the same day. We let them know the basics of having a koi pond to keep it short. We also have a few examples of a pond setup to show where everything should go (like bottom drains, filter systems, etc). We also ask if they have problems with animals like raccoons or herons. So we can reccomend ways to keep them from getting to your fish. There is a lot to state so this is just a summary.

Thomas Gannon, Oct 29, 2015
    CountryEscape likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Thomas Gannon

Tula

@Thomas Gannon , it sounds like you enjoy your work! I love visiting our local fish hatchery and have joked that I should apply for a job there , now that I retired from being a pre-school director :)

Tula, Oct 29, 2015
    Thomas Gannon likes this.
  4. Thomas Gannon

MitchM

Do you educate them at all about the biofilm layer that is responsible for processing ammonia?
    or
    - about the nitrogen cycle?
    - do you sell straight ammonia so they can cycle their pond via fishless cycling?
    - do you sell them testing kits so they can monitor the progress of the cycling process?

If you do, what are typical customer reactions to this?

Thanks.

MitchM, Oct 29, 2015
  5. Thomas Gannon

Thomas Gannon

@Tula funny story actually, the business is mostly garden related and it has a greenhouse and nursery, and I wanted to work there because I knew a lot about vegetable gardening and I found out they have a pretty sizeable pond section and I got into that really quick. It is an amazing job.

Tula likes this.
  6. Thomas Gannon

Tula

Sounds like heaven! It's good to love your job :)

Tula, Oct 29, 2015
  7. Thomas Gannon

Thomas Gannon

We do sell and teach them about what you mentioned, and the common reaction is that people get overwhelmed. They come in thinking koi ponds are a simple thing to build and maintain. They then find out it is expensive and can be complicated, and god forbid they complain about price and then want to add lights.

8. Thomas Gannon

Thomas Gannon

@Tula sadly I'm 18 and planning on majoring in pre-med to go to med-school. As much as I enjoy doing this it won't pay the bills

sissy and CountryEscape like this.
  9. Thomas Gannon

CountryEscape

Yeah, I want to add some really nice lights, but I want them to be cheap ... do you have that??? LOL That's when you smile and say you get what you pay for, and you don't carry junk. :)

CountryEscape, Oct 29, 2015
  10. Thomas Gannon

Thomas Gannon

@CountryEscape
    I actually have a set I'm selling on this website. It is in the classified section. And it says on there $90 but seriously I'm willing to negotiate. What's your spending limit?

11. Thomas Gannon

Thomas Gannon

@CountryEscape
    I also get discounts on everything so I can sell you stuff for a discounted price, we sometimes get in free products from companies, and we also have used ones that are a lot cheaper. I'm willing to ship to you.

Thomas Gannon, Oct 30, 2015
  12. Thomas Gannon

MitchM

The hardest part of starting up a pond is in the beginning.
    Once it's set up properly, it looks after itself.(y)

MitchM, Oct 30, 2015
    Thomas Gannon and CountryEscape like this.
  13. Thomas Gannon

MitchM

We frequently see people that do not know what fishless cycling is, so it's good to hear that there are some retailers promoting it.(y)

MitchM, Oct 30, 2015
  14. Thomas Gannon

CountryEscape

I looked at your lights, Tommy, and they appear to be a nice set. I'm wayyyy too cheap for that, though. I think I saw a set of 3 for $40, but they were not LED. I'm thinking on it, though .... maybe I can talk my kids into getting it for me. LOL Is it a new set, or used? Do you know what the electric output wattage is? I don't think I saw that, but thinking LED's run really cheap.

CountryEscape, Oct 30, 2015
  15. Thomas Gannon

Thomas Gannon

@CountryEscape It is brand new and it comes with the transformer and a timer, and day/night detector. Private message me your price range and we can work it out, because i can get cheaper setups if you want.

16. Thomas Gannon

Thomas Gannon

@CountryEscape i would go with led lights as they are most cost effective and last longer. also a typical set costs over 100 dollars. A set typically includes three lights, a photocell, and a transformer (they sometimes come with spikes or stands) Also you can get lights that give you the full rainbow spectrum (by that i mean they can change colors, or they have covers that when put over the light makes the light that color)

17. Thomas Gannon

sissy sissy

plus LED lights do not get hot like the other ones .I have had the other ones and when they get out of the water just a little bit they melt the plastic lense so try for a glass lense and also found a lot of the cheap ones were the worst for leaking .I had ones with plastic and know .But i actually prefer down lights that shine down into the water as it makes the fish and water look better .The other lights shine up into your eyes and since hubby had cataract surgery he could not take the up lights .

sissy, Oct 30, 2015
    CountryEscape and Thomas Gannon like this.
  18. Thomas Gannon

Thomas Gannon

One lighting system I think is really cool are the led light strips on a waterfall but those run in excess of 100 dollars 414y2HmBCCL._SL1500_.jpg

19. Thomas Gannon

sissy sissy

Those seem more of a modern look .

sissy, Oct 30, 2015
  20. Thomas Gannon

Thomas Gannon

It is but im having a hard time finding a better picture.

1. Advertisements

Ask a Question