New TV Show - Pond Stars

Reaction score
I actually removed both the filter pads in my aqua scape waterfall and only left one in the skimmer only to protect my pump from damaging debris. Ive never had clearer water then I have now. As far as the rocks covering the bottom of my pond, they've stayed pretty dam clean over the summer. The Koi have been doing a dam good job at keeping them clean.
Why did you remove the pads from the falls box? I noticed on a pond tour that all the people removed their pads from the skimmer and just used the net. I want to protect my pump also so at least one will stay in.

Reaction score
"Aquatic frogs such as the leopard frog(Rana pipiens) and American bullfrog (Rana catesbeiana) typically hibernate underwater. A common misconception is that they spend the winter the way aquatic turtles do, dug into the mud at the bottom of a pond or stream. In fact, hibernating frogs would suffocate if they dug into the mud for an extended period of time. A hibernating turtle's metabolism slows down so drastically that it can get by on the mud's meager oxygen supply. Hibernating aquatic frogs, however, must be near oxygen-rich water and spend a good portion of the winter just lying on top of the mud or only partially buried. They may even slowly swim around from time to time."
Hm, my pond doesn't have mud so I don't know if they could winter there but I have the small peanut shaped preform I could put in the ground near the pond. I left some of the muck in it when I moved it to my house assuming they liked it and where used to it. Although they have all but 1 moved to my pond. Should I put a small air stone in it, I have 2 ports.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't have mud in my pond, a slight layer of muck, maybe a inch or so. I have netted up barely moving frogs when pulling out leaves, I just toss them back in. I have frogs in all my ponds from big to tiny, where they actually winter I really don't know, need gps trackers on them. All I know is come spring I have frogs in all of the ponds again, from the tiny tiny stream water collections to the big pond.

I just don't worry about them seems they do fine on their own.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Why did you remove the pads from the falls box? I noticed on a pond tour that all the people removed their pads from the skimmer and just used the net. I want to protect my pump also so at least one will stay in.

Because I found that it actually restricts the flow and the water is
just as clear without it. I still have one in the skimmer to protect the pump.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):

Yeah I would agree with that assessment of the production value of the show - the made up drama adds nothing as far as I'm concerned. But that's TV. I would enjoy seeing a lot more of the how-to information that kind of gets glossed over, but obviously the producers feel that won't be of interest to the general public. It's too bad - I think they're wrong about that.

The fun for me is seeing the before and after - for example, the backyard they created for the AS employee last week was AMAZING. From a plain old flat suburban midwestern backyard to a pond oasis. I think that could inspire lots of people to take a look a their own backyard and think "hmmm...". We've seen dozens of AS ponds, but being able to see the yard before the pond is built is a fun aspect of the show.

Ask a Question