New TV Show - Pond Stars

Reaction score
I have an aquascapes skimmer that has 2 layers of thick filter pads and a net in it with the pump to the falls box that has 2 more thick filter pads and a combo of bio balls and lava rock on top. I don't think they believe in no filter media do they? I got it because I wanted a skimmer and thats what I found on Craigslist.
sorry forgot, I don't have anything against AQ or for them they are just another pond product business to me. I didn't gravel in my pond but foamed the walls with field stone.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I don't think not having rocks on the bottom of your pond, or removing them as in my case, means you won't have to net debris from the pond's bottom. This was my first season since removing the gravel from my pond, I thought my water would have been clearer, but particles that normally would be trapped in the gravel, swirl throughout the water.

Reaction score
I don't think not having rocks on the bottom of your pond, or removing them as in my case, means you won't have to net debris from the pond's bottom. This was my first season since removing the gravel from my pond, I thought my water would have been clearer, but particles that normally would be trapped in the gravel, swirl throughout the water.
I was wondering about that when I put the lights on at night. I see stuff but not a problem, I try to keep my pond clean but then again it is a pond out side soo......there will be stuff... and you should see my kitchen floor sometimes!!!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
sorry forgot, I don't have anything against AQ or for them they are just another pond product business to me. I didn't gravel in my pond but foamed the walls with field stone.

The AS biofalls is designed to hold filter media - bioballs typically, or the media of your choice - and filter pads. The top of the biofalls is built to hold plants, both floating and planted. So, yes, they believe in filtration. They also believe in bog filtration - they inspired our first consideration to build our bog and talked us through the process.

I'm putting that koi cam on my Christmas list!

Reaction score
The AS biofalls is designed to hold filter media - bioballs typically, or the media of your choice - and filter pads. The top of the biofalls is built to hold plants, both floating and planted. So, yes, they believe in filtration. They also believe in bog filtration - they inspired our first consideration to build our bog and talked us through the process.

I'm putting that koi cam on my Christmas list![/QUO

Yes I was thinking about plants in my falls box! Do you do that? I didn't want anything super tall or big spikes sticking straight up. Would I nestle them around my bio balls bag to keep them from floating out? I have a strong water flow also. I would like something creeping over the sides to help hide the box as it is above ground so I could have a water fall drop.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):

We don't have a biofalls. I have seen lots of ponds with planted biofalls though. I'll see if I can find a few pictures - I obsessively took photos on pond walks!

Reaction score
We don't have a biofalls. I have seen lots of ponds with planted biofalls though. I'll see if I can find a few pictures - I obsessively took photos on pond walks!
Oh you don't have to dig for me, I can google some pic. I just forgot about plants in the box thing, wasn't top on my pond project list.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Oh you don't have to dig for me, I can google some pic. I just forgot about plants in the box thing, wasn't top on my pond project list.
Well, honestly I love a good excuse to look at pond pictures and reminisce - "Remember this one? They had that cool dragonfly sculpture!" However, it's harder than you might think. A well-planted biofalls is difficult to spot in a photo. But we've seen them planted with hyacinths, hostas, grasses and reeds, papyrus, taro - you name it. All beautiful!

Reaction score
Well, honestly I love a good excuse to look at pond pictures and reminisce - "Remember this one? They had that cool dragonfly sculpture!" However, it's harder than you might think. A well-planted biofalls is difficult to spot in a photo. But we've seen them planted with hyacinths, hostas, grasses and reeds, papyrus, taro - you name it. All beautiful!
great, hostas! My box doesn't see the light of day!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
great, hostas! My box doesn't see the light of day!!

Hostas would be perfect then! We planted hostas in our bog - two small cuttings that we got from a neighbor. I didn't think they would grow, but they look great and are ready to be divided.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I actually removed both the filter pads in my aqua scape waterfall and only left one in the skimmer only to protect my pump from damaging debris. Ive never had clearer water then I have now. As far as the rocks covering the bottom of my pond, they've stayed pretty dam clean over the summer. The Koi have been doing a dam good job at keeping them clean.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
"Aquatic frogs such as the leopard frog(Rana pipiens) and American bullfrog (Rana catesbeiana) typically hibernate underwater. A common misconception is that they spend the winter the way aquatic turtles do, dug into the mud at the bottom of a pond or stream. In fact, hibernating frogs would suffocate if they dug into the mud for an extended period of time. A hibernating turtle's metabolism slows down so drastically that it can get by on the mud's meager oxygen supply. Hibernating aquatic frogs, however, must be near oxygen-rich water and spend a good portion of the winter just lying on top of the mud or only partially buried. They may even slowly swim around from time to time."

Do the frogs go down in that muck to winter?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm putting that koi cam on my Christmas list!
I found a decent underwater camera, which If I recall the info correctly could be fed into a tv without a dvr. Nice wide angle, no batteries, just a power supply. I will look it up when we get home and let you know.

Ask a Question