j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Gosh John hope all will be ok for you now that they patched you up. Does this mean we have to be nice to you now? Hope they let you out soon.

Reaction score
talked to the doc this morning. he says that i have to stay one more day to make sure im ok. so hopefully should get out Monday morning
im on a whole bunch of meds now
i find it interesting that just this time last year i was swimming, lifting weights and doing treadmills, and it was just one seasons worth of fatty foods and stress that brought it all along.
thanks for all your love, ppl

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
See now you gotta start eating right like the rest of us. Now how do you deal w/ stress? The food is pretty easy but the stress is harder. Sit by your pond more when you can, listen to ipod while walking and hum a lot............that's my 2 cents worth.
Hope they let you out tomorrow

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Go on walks John, listen to nature, I try to do a 2-4 mile walk every day, so peaceful

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Oh I'm so glad that you are ok. I hope it'll never happen to you again. May be you should sit and watch your fish more often to release stress ;)

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I'm back home now. My thoughts:

- I think it was a good thing it all happened quickly. From heart attack to surgery maybe just an hour or so. I think it helped that I woke up with the pain instead of just dying in my sleep and that the hospital was just 15 mins away and they did the procedure right away. It was a small regional hospital and there was no one there at all, seeming like all the ER personnel jumping on me all at once.

- It could have been more serious as the blockage was a big one cutting off blood to a large part of my heart. I now have to take 6 different meds and I'm going to try and wean myself off them as much as possible by changing my lifestyle and diet completely as I don't like meds and their side effects.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well actually when I hear people tell their stories it does make me think twice about myself as well (especially people that I know & I guess I can say I know you) lol

I used to smoke but after working in a pulmonary office for several years now I couldn't imagine ever doing it again! I would find myself thinking about some of the patients coming into the office when I was smoking and all of a sudden I didn't want that cigarette as much as I thought I did :yuck:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You will do it John if you really put your heart into it, no pun intended! Walking is great and I do it every day. Worked my way up to over 6 miles a day now. That takes me about an hour and 1/2 so really not that much out of your day. Prolly good for you to break it up and do some early and some later but I don't seem to be able to get into that routine. Have too much yard junk to take up the rest of my time. Lots of good for you food out there but you actually have to buy it and bring it home and eat it if you want it to work. Try not to have bad food around your house or it will follow you around the house till you can't stand it anymore, oh yes I know. Can be hard when others in your house have the junk food laying around to tempt you but you have to be strong and grab all the will power you can get and you will do just fine.
We are all pulling for ya and we will root you on to victory

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
John take a look at diabetes plate method of eating

http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/planning-meals/create-your-plate/

my honey has lost 30 lbs on it, dropped his cholesterol by 100 (bad) raised his good by 20, dropped his triglycerides to normal range, got his sugars back to normal..............we follow the plate method, ie. eat a balanced healthy meal. Once you do it for a while it is so darn simple, becomes a life style.

We emptied our cupboards took all the food that was not acceptable to a neighbor with kids. Once it is gone you don't think of it. And DON"T BUY any more lol

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You can do it John! Try and stay positive and take one day at a time :)

Now if I could just motivate and start eating better and exercising more.....
You mean my near death experience was not motivation enough, lol.

my dear honey is motivated, a slightly abnormal ecg, 10 days later a quad bypass, no symptoms, no pain, no heart attack, he was so darn lucky could have died.
A darn sharp doc caught the slight change, ordered a nuc test, 2 days later a cath, 2 days later open heart. all major blood vessels of the heart 90 to 100% occluded.

As more than one doc told us, you are so lucky to be alive.

It motivates you and I give him no choice but to stay motivated!

You will stay motivated John, like him a second chance at life, embrace it!

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
@addy1, thanks for the info. I believe someone (maybe you) posted it before. I'm definitely going to give this a more serious try. Problem is that non starchy veggies don't taste good!

Ask a Question