Oh No, it started!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Last week a couple of my Shubunkin ladies were spawning, with the other fish eating the fresh caviar where they could. I usually like having new babies in case something happens to the adults. Sure enough, this week a blue heron spotted the pond and cleaned it out in two days (only 9 fish - the babies from 2 years ago when all the adults were eaten). It seems this time of year is the most dangerous; the plants haven't started growing and covering up the pond and herons can spot the bright orange fish from 30,000 feet. Oh well...circle of life, etc. etc.
Sorry to hear this..I, on the other hand, have so much cover over my pond (live oaks) that I am becoming over stocked. What started with seven shubunkins has turned into a nursery...My pond is teaming with fry from 1/4 inch to two inches...about thirty now (I already gave 20 away to the fish store I bought the originals from) and THE CHASING IS ON AGAIN!!!:(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
Sorry to hear this..I, on the other hand, have so much cover over my pond (live oaks) that I am becoming over stocked. What started with seven shubunkins has turned into a nursery...My pond is teaming with fry from 1/4 inch to two inches...about thirty now (I already gave 20 away to the fish store I bought the originals from) and THE CHASING IS ON AGAIN!!!:(
I may sound nuts, but. Can you nab 3-4 of the chasers, isolate them (in the "boys room"), catch and take the rest back to the fish store, then you'd be back to 3-4, hopefully all male and a few fry you didn't see but can catch as time goes by? I've never tried this, so it's only a hope.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I may sound nuts, but. Can you nab 3-4 of the chasers, isolate them (in the "boys room"), catch and take the rest back to the fish store, then you'd be back to 3-4, hopefully all male and a few fry you didn't see but can catch as time goes by? I've never tried this, so it's only a hope.
Thanks for the idea SarahT...I have the guy that built my pond coming Wednesday to take five of my adult fish to ponds that he has built...Unfortunately the two that I want to keep that are the prettiest I think may be females...Are the males smaller than the females? I will try and see who is chasing who tonight:) I didn't want to send all of them away because I still need fish load for my plants and the fry are only 2" and under...

Cichlidboy

Dandridge TN cichlids not goldies
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I just went out to get some oak leaves out of my pond and saw all of these tiny (1/4 inch) fry in the parrots feather! I was so hoping that my fish were too small to spawn (they are only four inches!) Is it too late to stop feeding my fish in hopes that they will keep down the numbers?
Mine started to my Texas cichlids spawned the other day but I am pretty sure it was due to stress cause I went swimming/cleaned pond.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211214-180503_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20211214-180503_Google.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220401_160205.jpg
    20220401_160205.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 8
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
Thanks for the idea SarahT...I have the guy that built my pond coming Wednesday to take five of my adult fish to ponds that he has built...Unfortunately the two that I want to keep that are the prettiest I think may be females...Are the males smaller than the females? I will try and see who is chasing who tonight:) I didn't want to send all of them away because I still need fish load for my plants and the fry are only 2" and under...
Oh, definitely keep fish! I just thought it would be easier to ID the males chasing, but the other way works, too, and really, once you get the catch and rehome process in place, I think your pond will be fine. I've got the same problem, with regular comets, going on. Now, I've a hankering for Shubies (and now I KNOW where to go!)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Oh, definitely keep fish! I just thought it would be easier to ID the males chasing, but the other way works, too, and really, once you get the catch and rehome process in place, I think your pond will be fine. I've got the same problem, with regular comets, going on. Now, I've a hankering for Shubies (and now I KNOW where to go!)
Yes, you do! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I don't feed and in 10 years have not yet gotten over populated. Tons of plants lots of spawning area, lots of hiding spots.
Something I wonder -- does one really need to feed the fish? I'd think enough bugs fall in and algae grows in to keep things balanced.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Something I wonder -- does one really need to feed the fish? I'd think enough bugs fall in and algae grows in to keep things balanced.
Yes, under most circumstances the fish will find enough food, however my pond is small (900 gallons) and it is also new so there is not a lot available to them right now so I do feed sparingly....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Yes, under most circumstances the fish will find enough food, however my pond is small (900 gallons) and it is also new so there is not a lot available to them right now so I do feed sparingly....
Thanks for sharing. My pond is new and smaller than that, though the fish load will always be small. But yes, I'll start feeding for now and just hope to get to a point where I can stop.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I hardly ever feed, but have a mature pond with lots of plants in it.

Ask a Question