addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You're saying have the net sitting in the water?
I bought fish gill netting, holes around 4 inches wide. It traps nothing, ie. small birds frogs etc. I have had it up for 4ish years now.

I hang it around 3 feet over the water, only attached at 4 corners via fence posts. I did weave a rope through the edge to give it strength and the ability to hang it without it stretching out.

My pond is around 27 feet long, widest 15-18 feet. It works great. If I want to work on the lilies I just walk under or pull a edge over.

Not a real eye sore, it did stop the herons, does stop the hawks. The hawks fish for frogs in the small un-netted ponds. The heron quit coming by, still flies over every day.
IMG_1833.JPG

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I bought fish gill netting, holes around 4 inches wide. It traps nothing, ie. small birds frogs etc. I have had it up for 4ish years now.

I hang it around 3 feet over the water, only attached at 4 corners via fence posts. I did weave a rope through the edge to give it strength and the ability to hang it without it stretching out.

My pond is around 27 feet long, widest 15-18 feet. It works great. If I want to work on the lilies I just walk under or pull a edge over.

Not a real eye sore, it did stop the herons, does stop the hawks. The hawks fish for frogs in the small un-netted ponds. The heron quit coming by, still flies over every day.View attachment 115242
Yes I remember this netting you used. What local place would have this net?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3?
Country
Canada
I did see reviews and they can't take our Canada winters, freeze up at -15 C. Any monthly costs? Night vison ok? Might install inside anyway but entire pond is 50' away and might not get all in.
Thanks
Lol I am in coldest part and no issues with my cameras at -45 wind chill. One camera is 75 feet away and other can zoom to couple hundred feet no issue in cold at all with quality cameras.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada

Not a real eye sore, it did stop the herons, does stop the hawks. The hawks fish for frogs in the small un-netted ponds. The heron quit coming by, still flies over every day.View attachment 115242
No local gill nets so that's out for now.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Lol I am in coldest part and no issues with my cameras at -45 wind chill. One camera is 75 feet away and other can zoom to couple hundred feet no issue in cold at all with quality cameras.
Arlo or something else?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3?
Country
Canada
Arlo or something else?
Not sure where Arlo is or is that a brand ? I use commercial grade cameras from Hikvision and I bought mine on Aliexpress. It was another hobby in the recent past and as I do with most things I spend hundreds of hours study prior to buying and naturally join forums. If you want cameras I suggest Dahua or Hikvision and 3mp or 4mp and IP camera with POE only which powers them at great distances useing CAT 5 wire. I run one at my cottage via POE and its about 450 feet away on my shore line. It is motorized Dahua and I can zoom across the lake at about 1.5 km. I look for guys favorite fishing spots in complete darkness so kind of fun !
Just last night I saw 3 deer, 5 raccoons and 1 skunk... the night is crazy at the pond.

Last edited:

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Not sure where Arlo is or is that a brand ? I use commercial grade cameras from Hikvision and I bought mine on Aliexpress. It was another hobby in the recent past and as I do with most things I spend hundreds of hours study prior to buying and naturally join forums. If you want cameras I suggest Dahua or Hikvision and 3mp or 4mp and IP camera with POE only which powers them at great distances useing CAT 5 wire. I run one at my cottage via POE and its about 450 feet away on my shore line. It is motorized Dahua and I can zoom across the lake at about 1.5 km. I look for guys favorite fishing spots in complete darkness so kind of fun !
Just last night I saw 3 deer, 5 raccoons and 1 skunk... the night is crazy at the pond.
Thanks but we were talking about ARLO cameras, wifi and wireless.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
I have 2 D-Link cameras. 1 is rated for exterior and one inside. They both send me an email when motion activates them as well as records the incident. they work well but the outdoor one does not do the night vision as well and gets triggered so often with bugs and birds .Both are power plugin and work in cold temps.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Thanks I remember yours from past years, but I want to access them over the Iphone or Internet away from home.

LTS makes some good systems that can do that easily. I have 2 of theirs myself. One 8 camera and one 16 camera system. What are you looking for specifically when it comes to viewing? Do you want just overall watching for birds or do you want to be able to pick faces from a distance?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I have Samsung Wisenet wired cameras around my house. There's a 1 TB DVR for recording triggered movement in areas of the screen you choose. There's no monthly fee...nothing. Bought them on Amazon. I'm able to view, snap stills, rewind the DVR all from a phone, computer or tablet.
A good thing with this system in my opinion is the easy plug and play. There's no port forwarding or any other complicated setups.

I have to admit, I haven't run a wire out to the pond yet. I currently have a Moultrie trail camera out there. It runs on batteries, has a wide angle lens which captures the whole pond. It takes great stills or videos and records sound. It saves it on an SD card.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I have Samsung Wisenet wired cameras around my house. There's a 1 TB DVR for recording triggered movement in areas of the screen you choose. There's no monthly fee...nothing. Bought them on Amazon. I'm able to view, snap stills, rewind the DVR all from a phone, computer or tablet.
A good thing with this system in my opinion is the easy plug and play. There's no port forwarding or any other complicated setups.

I have to admit, I haven't run a wire out to the pond yet. I currently have a Moultrie trail camera out there. It runs on batteries, has a wide angle lens which captures the whole pond. It takes great stills or videos and records sound. It saves it on an SD card.
Cool how much is your trail camera, what type? I just might do that for the pond and have the others for house security.

Ask a Question