Omg my fish jumped out of the pond

Reaction score
Well for some reason he relapsed and is now dead or very very close to death....I am actually quite upset about all of this but I learned my lesson and no more koi for me....I love my goldfish and I don't want to go through with this again. I just wish he never jumped and this reminds me of when my cat was taken away from me without any control over the situation.I'm actually quite upset and I could almost cry...my stomach is quite heavy and this really sucks but bright side is that my prized fish are still alive so that's good thank god for that.

Reaction score
Talal, have you tested your water? Its quite likely the koi jumped out because the water was killing him, rather than he got got killed because he jumped out. FWIW, when my pond drained accidentally, Ive had a Koi laying on concrete for at least 2 hours, and possibly as much as 6, he recovered fine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hey talay, it's possible there was not enough oxygen for him. Usually fish jump because they are uncomfortable. They don't think of the consequences!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
What a bummer talal :cool: I think you are wise to stick w/ the goldies as they are not as sensitive as the Koi. Do you have any airstones or waterfalls? So sorry about your fish :(

Reaction score
Water quality is actually really good and yeah I have very good aeration in the pond with a fountain running 24 hours a day so I know it's not that but I have to say that I don't have anything that the koi hides in so he could be getting scared and going in a frenzy and jumped out.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ok so if you decide to get another one you could put something like a large black piece of pvc pipe in there or whatever :( He needs a man cave :frown:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Could be a gal cave too jw! Sorry talal, hang in there things will settle down.

Reaction score
My theory is that when they are deprived of oxygen, they can suffer organ damage so unless you actually saw them jump out and know they were not out very long, then it's a real crapshoot whether they will survive. I had one die something like 5 days later.

Reaction score
Thanks guys, Things have gone really really well with the new koi and no I mean the water parameters are really good and I have had no algae problems and the water is crystal clear, and it's been running for a couple months but I only added fish a week or 2 ago so things could change....I have water hyacinth in there that are mulitying slowly and are doing really well and are really healthy. So far I am really happy with my pond and this is one of those rarer pond owner times where you are completely satisfied with your pond....I still have the waterfall and stream to add to the pond so it's not completely done yet. And the fish have become so vibrant and bright that I am actually quite happy with the way they are doing

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I added a new larger pump and filter today and I had a Koi jump out. Luckily I was working in the yard when I heard him splash out and flop a couple of times. I had to put him back in. I think the pump may be too strong for this small of a pond, and it spooked him. Not sure though.

Ask a Question