Omg my fish jumped out of the pond

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
vertigo72 said:
Doubt its the pump. Koi actually like flowing water. Test your water.

Dont doubt its the pump. I had the same thing happen a few weeks ago after putting in a pump to circulate the water. My largest koi jumped out of the pond as if he was playing in the jet flow and just got a little carried away. It only happened once and all the other fish including him are fine. Kio can jump out of the water for various reasons posted here. I do believe as mentioned they like flowing water but sometimes they have to learn the rules of the pool.lol

Reaction score
Okay maybe it is the pump, koi dont like any change, but Id test the water anyway :)
And even if it is the pump, keep it in, they will get used to it. I know mine seem to love my circulation pump, always swimming against the flow, in and out of the jet. It also keeps them healthy (exercise ) and I heard, helps them grow.... Last but not least, it helps to get dirt moved to the center and bottom of the pond, iow, towards your bottomdrain.

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Didn't mean to come off as a jerk in my post vertigo72. I agree on the spray spray bar, I had one in my previous pond and my fish would just play in the jet stream. They grew pretty fast with it as well. On my current pond I didnt have one and I found a sweet yard sale deal and deceided to drop it in. I put a screen cover over area where the pump is but have since removed the cover. Havent had another incident.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
You know, actually it can have a lot to do with the pump and the increased oxygen. I've seen it before. The added water flow and increased oxygen is like a RedBull energy drink to us. It brings out that instinct to swim in the stronger current and get all that oxygen to the gills. Let's just say they are jumping with joy! and getting a little to excited! LOL My friend added two large airstones and a pump to circulate water in his 3600 gallon pond, it had been set up for a good year and all was looking great. He just wanted to get more movement deep and try to be sure and have plenty of oxygen for his fast growing koi for the summer months. He added the pump and air stones and several of his fish started jumping and playing in the new water, lucky for him it was all going on in the middle of the pond so none jumped out. We actually watched a 18" sanke jump a good four feet in the air about 3 or 4 times. We watched for several hours in concern but after about 24 hours they all settled back down and all are doing great. So it may not be they are trying to jump out just excited with the new water movement and oxygen.
Another example of this, I worked for a short time at a catfish farm when I was quite younger, Once a pond had been harvested they would drain the pond for maintenance and refill it. Behind the ponds where large drainage ditches that led to a old lake. When the ponds started draining VERY large carp would swim up the ditches to find the rush of moving water. There was one spot that the water had to drop about 3' so it made a small water fall, we would go and watch the carp jump the water fall to go upstream, pretty amazing watching literally hundreds of 10#-40# carp jumping over a water fall! This would happen EVERY time we drained a pond! My Guess, either they wanted that added oxygen or this was their signal to breed. Either way, it wasn't because of lack of but more because of the abundance of oxygen being released.

Ask a Question