Our current project / disaster in progress (non pond)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We struggle with asking him to move. But if we finally do, we need to make sure family is involved. And it will be the next one to fix and sale. He is a plumber, years ago put a screw through the main water line, flooded the place. The flooring is yuck. We tired to change it out when doing the bathroom fix (he had no working sink) the kitchen fix (cabinets falling apart, counter rotted) but he kept throwing us out, claiming we were only doing it to evict him. So we made it nicer for him, kitchen/bath, then quit in 2016.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You did your best for him as I remember that situation and it is sad one @addy1
His mind is not all there anymore and he sure needs some kind of family help. It will get all sorted out somehow I hope.
After he's gone from the place, one less rental and more time for you to play at what you really want to be doing.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Not sure where I left things, think I said something in another thread.

Short and sweet, went to Fl, met daughter, not the estate rep, step kids (11) and her split the estate, one step brother is the rep. We got home on Tuesday, snow storm on Wednesday, back to Fl to meet the rep on Sunday.

Got that settled, nice guys. Loss three weeks of time to work on Baltimore dealing with Fl. We get home, 4/1 work a bit in Baltimore, spend 4 days on the bees, need to catch up on them and some decent weather.

Now back To Baltimore, doing the last floor.............in the basement. Finished all except some cuts in the hallway Another 300sq of flooring.

20180416_105907.jpg

Where the yellow is will be a mini kitchen, fridge, sink, microwave. Mother in law or rental unit. Exit door in the basement. Full bath.

Wish we were done...............Still have around 2-3 weeks of work, everything takes so much time. Value has gone up 70k (zillow) since we started working on it.

The one nice day I had no bee work, decided to pull dead plants, grasses, weeds, stuff
Well got poison ivy on chest, back, down inside and outside of right arm. Bad attack, first in quite awhile. This was a poison ivy free zone, well it used to be. Did not see even a speck of it, must have been dead plants, roots whatever, darn stuff.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Ugh to the evil PI ! I hope the next 2-3 weeks pass smoothly and you get a swift sale on this place :)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Ugh to the evil PI ! I hope the next 2-3 weeks pass smoothly and you get a swift sale on this place :)
We hope so to, but that 3 week estimate has to be broken up, the bees have to take priority. We need to inspect every 7-10 days to keep them home so they gather nectar to make the honey. We do a lot of manipulation to try to keep them home. If they swarm you lose 1/2 the work force.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
We hope so to, but that 3 week estimate has to be broken up, the bees have to take priority. We need to inspect every 7-10 days to keep them home so they gather nectar to make the honey. We do a lot of manipulation to try to keep them home. If they swarm you lose 1/2 the work force.
How to you manipulate them to stay home ?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How to you manipulate them to stay home ?
We go into the hives at least every 7 to 10 days, during spring. We open the brood nest by adding a empty frame, cut frames etc, as long as the bees think there is room to grow they won't feel the need to swarm. Swarming to them is reproduction, i.e. adding another hive to the world.

If they get a cap of honey over their brood nest (eggs etc) they think they are out of room so we pull out a few frames in the top box remove the capped honey replace with empty frames. checkerboarding.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I need to talk to you, I have my first hive coming next weekend, plan to get another one in late May.

Any tips on setting up new hives?
hop over to my buzz thread, we can chat bees as much as you want.

Are you getting packages or nucs? I assume new equipment, wax or plastic foundation......8 or 10 frame.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Missy is OUT! You must really be working that poor pup to the bone!
She tolerates the drive the day there but is so happy when we stay home! She does demand a walk every few hours loves all the smells.

Ask a Question