Our current project / disaster in progress (non pond)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Almost done with the basement efficiency. We installed the granite today. We saved around 500 doing it ourselves. A small piece, but still heavy around 200 lbs. Managed to get it into the house down the very narrow stairs, without breaking it. And on to the cabinets.

We are starting to see the light at the end of this very long tunnel we have been in.
20180427_132129.jpg
20180427_132156.jpg

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks, dear honey wanted to use the old cabinets from the kitchen, I convinced him..............finally.......... (just had to complain about them every time I looked at them) to toss the stinky sticky cabinets and buy new ones. Not that much for a small space.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yay you are getting there and it looks so nice! I like that touch of nature added w/the tree limbs w/leaves, adds a lot!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We were going to strip , bondo fix the front door. Small door, 75x28 no replacements found. Quotes of 4-5k to replace just the front door. While honey was walking the pup he saw a guy measuring a door a few houses down from us. So dear honey asked him how do you get a replacement door, the guy said ask me. Well we hired him, found out he lived there, he knew how to take the framing apart without destroying the brick.
He is putting in a new door, adding a storm door to the front and a screened door to the back. Adding a railing to the marble steps. Safety thing they would complain about.
received_10209622547675413.jpeg

the door is 2011 off of google maps
Marble steps will have a railing to the left.
Capture.JPG

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Getting closer, a few update photos. We are actually saying rooms are done.

New front door and storm door.

20180507_120236.jpg

kitchen done, except some floor cleaning
20180507_114308.jpg
20180507_114445.jpg

kitchenette in basement
20180507_114733.jpg
20180507_114702.jpg

basement bath
20180507_114940.jpg
20180507_115053.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
WOW it all looks so amazing and you even added curtains! Some lucky person is gonna live happy in that place for sure!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
@addy1 looks great. i'd check out the bay window by the front door the roof looks like it may need some attention. just what i can see from the pictures. been lurking the thread for awhile. Good job looks great.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i'd check out the bay window by the front door the roof looks like it may need some attention.
I saw that, it is on our list.

We hired a realtor, well not yet but almost hired. After a bunch of buyers have walked through, the only issue is no central air.........................so we are tearing down the wall in the upstairs bath to add a return vent and having a AC unit installed next Tuesday. We were going to be done this week, but no..........geez!

20180507_115600.jpg

The red line is going to be the duct work the vent at the top of the duct work, there is a skylight that connects the bath, hallway and bedroom so good air draw into the bath.

The duct work will also connect to the furnace (gas) return. We will also be installing dampers to control the flow.

We got bids from 9800, (returns added), 5800 (no return added) to 3000. The 3k is from a AC guy the realtor works with and with us doing the duct work. IE tearing apart the pretty wall and installing redoing dry wall. He is coming Tuesday to do the rest of the install.

Dear hubby tore apart the wall and floor yesterday, today removing some 2x4's that are just hanging, no support, not even sure why they are there. Need to make room for a 8x10 duct for the return needed.
Capture.JPG

At home

Grass growing like weeds, about a foot high and I just mowed about 4 days ago, nothing but rain recently. Weeds on steroids, not touched this year. Poison ivy on steroids.

Pond running all by itself, I do clean the skimmer every week or so.

Dead tree still dead.

Next week we should be done with all major things we may need to do a few random trips to finish up very minor stuff that a inspector would complain about, but a buyer will never notice.

Listing next week! can not wait!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I hate that after all that beautiful work you did to that bathroom that you end up having to tear it apart. Guess AC is more important to buyer and you will get it back to beautiful again. Sorry you have added more work to the deal but soon hopefully it will sell and you will be done w/it all!

Then you can get back to all your own property work. Beware of the ivy :eek:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I hate that after all that beautiful work you did to that bathroom that you end up having to tear it apart.
We are going to put a new sheet of drywall from the edge of the sink to the wall, then a small piece to the back, make a bigger box than there is. Less work to repair. The "chimney" is behind the dry wall bump out, it is for the exhaust of the old oil burner which is now a gas furnace. We are just making the bump out a bit bigger.

We are competing with row houses with AC, nobody wants window units. So a bit more work and realtor said we would get the funds back without issue. We hope.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Certainly not a fun way to spend your time and money, but I agree, it needs to be done. Baltimore is hot and humid.....central AC is an asset. I sure hope it sells in record time and it can become a distant memory !

Ask a Question