Our current project / disaster in progress (non pond)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Getting your money from her estate may be a hassle. If she was surviving on income such as SSI, etc, instead of say a nest egg, there may not be enough for rent. I do hope you have a clear list of what’s yours, vrs what’s hers, in furniture. So that her family can’t claim any of what’s yours was hers.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have before rental pictures showing all our stuff. I don't think there will be a issue. But families can get nasty when it comes to money, property and death.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
How sad and hope all works out and no trouble from family. Now you have a whole other mess to deal with,sheesh! You gonna sell that one too? More fix up work I guess no matter which way you go.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You gonna sell that one too? More fix up work I guess no matter which way you go.
This will be our next winter project. We will need to fly down, once we know what is going to happen with the family and do a partial clean out, still fighting rats. Per the neighbor papers being eaten by them. We do have a good exterminator, he goes every few days and collects the traps. We are under contract he works until they are gone. The neighbor lets him in.

Our lawyer here, will type, said to change the locks, allow nobody in without official court documents. The brother wants to just send us a letter saying we can find things to send to him. But the estranged daughter has the "official" rights to her stuff if there is no will. We could be sued if we do not protect her items. We do have the choice to put them in storage, then attempt to make the estate pay for the storage. We don't need the house empty until next fall, so we will let most just sit. We will do a fly down trip, clean out trash, and fly home. With tons of picture documentation.

The estate is liable for the rent until her stuff is gone. She does have some investments, rent is auto pay from the bank, no clue how long the funds will last. When we saw her in November we asked if there was a will, who to contact if something happened to her. She said she would get us the info. We kept asking for it, she never supplied it to us. My impression was there is a will, but her mind was drifting then, so not sure what is real.

If someone wants to go through her stuff we will need to fly down and meet up with them.

This is a mess for us, sad for her.

This was my hubbies parents house. He bought it from the two brothers the parents willed it to.
We had it rehabbed right before she moved in, but now will need to do a redo. Cabinets broken, shelves bent due to weight of food stored. So another rehab late this year, then up for sale, most likely. If we sale we will need to store our tv's furniture etc somewhere or just get rid of.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada

Our lawyer here, will type, said to change the locks, allow nobody in without official court documents. ...

We're in a nasty estate court battle ourselves with someone in the states.
Listen to your lawyer, lock up your house and be ready to wait a while before any resolution.
Sorry to hear about your grief with this. We've learned that the courts are in no rush to settle things and the process can be very frustrating.
Sometimes there is a website available where you can follow the court proceedings, check into that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
With no will, it’s taken a year for probate to settle this place. Then it went to both her kids, with the one that lives in state getting control of the estate. She had wanted him to inherit it all. Lucky us, he wanted to sell and move to Alabama where his brother is at. Sadly, his brother and Dad will probably do what they can to get as much money as they can from him.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I never understood why people do not prepare ,gosh you can even do a will online for 25 dollars .I prepared my first will when I 18 when I bought my first house and then just updated it when needed ..Ford does pay for all legal services so it was easy .I just rechecked mine a couple of months ago .Both my sons have copies and the state has copies and so does the bank .I did make out a whole new will when I moved to VA .I have never been greedy even with my mom and dads will and with hubbies mom and dad .Geeze I took care of them before they died and it took time out of this house .We only had our beds and 2 lawn chairs in the living room for over a year .I had to live off clothes that were still in boxes ,I did get things done when my sister in laws had time from work to help out .But most of that work was outside trees and grass and getting driveway done were most important .Sa people do not think ahead in this day and age of puters

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I need to update mine once we have finalized the sale on this place. Dad needs one, we’ve talked about it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I wasn't married but got one because my mom and dad told me to get one .I thought it was strange but after talking to the lawyer I understood it better .Shame more people do not understand that wills are not for older people they are for all ages and all walks of life no matter how much money you have or how much money you make

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have had wills all my life.

We are hoping she has a will, has a executor, etc. All we can do is wait it out.
Locks being changed tomorrow.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Our last tenant that died, years ago, the family drove down from Baltimore. They made it there before we did, stole our washer, dryer, some tools, left the gross mattress.

This time we are locking down our house, since the majority of the stuff is ours, furniture, tvs etc.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Oh my goodness, I can't believe people would do that! I can see why you're being careful, sounds like a sensible precaution (y)

Reaction score
NEVER rent to friends or family................nothing but regrets.

I told my wife it was a bad idea from the beginning, things would go downhill and I would be the bad guy. adn that's what happened after her sister moved out and got married. She fought me on it so I let it go. Then she moved them in to the house before I was ready. She had to learn so I let her.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol live and learn, We have found out the tenants we do our best to help usually are the ones that burn us. They start thinking they can push the envelope further and further.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol live and learn, We have found out the tenants we do our best to help usually are the ones that burn us. They start thinking they can push the envelope further and further.

Amen to that Addy, when I think how many folks I have helped and the so little reciprocation. always back fired

Ask a Question